Is calf augmentation with fat transfer a safe procedure?

I've had skinny calves all my life. I've never considered implants due to risks and. Implications associated with it. I recently learned that calf augmentation can be done with fat transfer. I've done research but it doesn't seem to be a very popular procedure. My main concern is weather it is a safe procedure and how likely is the fat to survive. I have enough fat to donate in my my abdomen area. It doesn't seem like there are many doctors who perform this type of procedure. Is it safe? Thank u

Calf Augmentation by Fat Injections

Calf augmentation by fat injections is a very safe procedure. But it is often not very effective. Fat does not survive very well in the calfs in many patients and it does not have the outer push that an implant does in my experience. It also takes a lot more fat to harvest to have enough to inject into the calfs.

Calf implants - with fat transfers

Thank you for asking about your calf fat transfers.
  • Fat transfers can be done and are quite safe.
  • The results are unpredictable - between 40-70% of the fat survives.
  • You are likely to need 2-3 procedures to see a significant improvement.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Calf Augmentation With Fat Transfer

Pictures would be helpful in assessing the abdomen to calf augmentation.  Schedule an in-office consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the possible fat transfer procedure from your abdomen and also pros and cons of implants. 
Kenneth B. Hughes, MDBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonLos Angeles, CA