Calf implant scars?

Do All Calf implants leave a permanent shiny scar behind the knee on everyone? Or is it something that happens for a specific reason? Becausr most of the calf implants I've seen have fleshy scars in the crease behind the knee

Do all calf implants leave bad scars?

Scars are made to place implants through. The larger the implant, the larger the scar needs to be. However, after the surgery I recommend my patients use scar therapy like ScaRxtape for a couple of months to try and minimize the scars no matter where they are.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Calf Implant Scars

How well the scars in the back of the knee look after calf implants has a lot do with the natural skin pigment. People with darker skin pigments may have slightly more noticeable scars and can develop a small amount of hyper pigmentation. But it is also important to look at long-term scars which are not usually a significant aesthetic concerns. Many postoperative pictures of calf implants are taken relatively early after surgery when the scars are far from mature since getting patients back long-term is uncommon.

Calf implant scars

Any and all surgery leaves a scar however the location as well as the patients genetics are big determining factors and how inconspicuous scar result is.  Most scars, including calf implants scars, require a full year and a half to two years to fully mature and blend in with the surrounding skin. Unfortunately most postop after pictures are taken anywhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery and therefore the scars are relatively still young and fresh and not looking the best yet. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD