Want 4 calf implants (2x2) but told safer get 2 (1x2) in 1 surgery, what are the risks and est. price? (photos)

bec of design of my lower leg structure and narrow bone width Ive got bad chicken legs.tried work out but wont change much. do bodybuild so muscular.want to get calf implants.originally wanted 2 implants for good size in each leg.have been advised by surgeon (in Miami) that should get 1 medial implant in each bec my lateral head is relatively ok, another reason cited is that its safer/lower risk. Another Dr. in Canada has said we can do 2x2. Price and size wise Id prefer 2x2. Seeking advice.

2 versus 4 calf implants

I have done body implants for more than 10 years now.  It is always safer to do "less" in any surgery.  It is possible to do one implant per leg and to add the other ones 3-6 months later.  That being said, doing 2 per leg in one setting is often done too, with careful instructions for recovery such as elevating the legs, limiting ambulation, etc.  I give all my surgical patients my own phone number so if there is any issue, I can be reached easily.  Patients often enjoy one recovery only.  Recovery is also slightly longer with 4 implants.  I use drains to prevent seroma and compartment syndrome.  Crutches for a few days post-op would also help with pain management.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto

2 vs 4 Calf Implants

It all depends in the calf implant size chosen and how small or tight your calf tissues are. Four calf implants (two in each leg) can be safely placed in most patients as long as the size they have chosen is not too large. 

Calf implants, inner and/or outer?

Other than very special conditions such as patients with extremely poor calf development secondary to polio or club feet,  I read routinely perform inner and outer calf implants at the same time when indicated and beneficial to the patient. This has  served me and my patients well without any additional complications for the past 15 years performing calf augmentation with implants.  Please read on for more general details:

Other than favorable genetics combined with rigorous consistent exercise, there is no other way to augment the calf muscles besides calf implants. Fat transfer will NOT work, period! Surgical prices vary by region, surgeon reputation, and surgical experience. However, very few plastic surgeons specialize in this operation so you may have to travel a long distance to one that does. The implants are made of soft semi-solid silicone rubber and placed surgically through a small (3/4 inch) incision in a natural crease behind the knee. When the implants are properly sized and placed under the muscle fascia, they should blend in and look natural. There are too many critical nerves and blood vessels under the muscle to risk this technique. All surgery comes with post-operative pain and recovery. For calf implants, the first two weeks after surgery is the most difficult time because walking is painful. Recovery usually progresses at a smooth steady pace from there. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD