I have 2 small holes in my incision after my breast implant surgery. How do I get it to heal? (photo)

I got my breast implants about a mnth ago in another st. I got an infection in my wound and had to go to the hospital about a week after my surgery. They gave me antibiotics so I no longer have an infection but I have 2 small holes in my incision. I've been calling my doctors office and sending emails but they are not answering or calling me back... I'm not sure what I can do for myself. How do I get it to heal?

Doctor Answers 14

small holes in my incision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have an implant exposure. This needs to be treated surgically and there is nothing you can do to make it heal. If you cannot get in touch with your surgeon, then you need to see somebody in your local area as soon as possible.

Breast implant surgery - incisions won't heal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

  • I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • Your surgeon is in my opinion not reputable - he has abandoned you.
  • This is likely to be because he knows exactly what the problem is and doesn't want to deal with it. 
  • Infections after breast implants can occur but are quite uncommon.
  • Was your surgery done in  an accredited surgery center? If not, there may have been a problem with the quality of your surgical care.
  • Your 'two small holes' are an open incision directly over your implants - the implants need to be removed.
  • You cannot have a new implant placed for 3 months after you heal.
  • The cause was your wound infection - implants are not living tissue and cannot easily heal from an infection. 
  • I suggest you contact the surgeon and tell him you need the implants 
  • If he does not respond, find a surgeon in your area to help you and write a letter of complaint to the surgeon's state licensing board.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it looks like your implant is exposed and likely has to be removed.  Best to contact your surgeon.

Implant exposed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

thank you for your question. I am sorry to tell you but your implant is exposed which means  they need to be removed for a time while the tissue heals. This will never heal on its own. Please call your plastic surgeon and see them right away.

Go to your surgeons office

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

that dark area is your breast implant exposed, you will need to have that breast redone with more surgery. IF your surgeon will not see you, go to his/her office. IF they are unwilling to treat you, go find another surgeon to have it taken care of. 

You have an exposed implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need that addressed ASAP.  Exposure often requires removal and replacement due to infection risk and potential long term complications such as capsular contracture.  

Open area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your incision appears to be open and perhaps exposing the implant. Try to be seen as soon as possible by a plastic surgeon because often times the implant may need to be removed if it is exposed to the outside for extended time 

I have 2 small holes in my incision after my breast implant surgery. How do I get it to heal? (photo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination I am most concerned that your implant has become exposed in the area where your incision has separated.  Due to your infection history the implant should be removed.  Either call ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in your area who may be able to treat you appropriately, or visit your local hospitals ER.  I am attaching a link below that should help you find surgeons in your area that you can call upon.  

Non-healing incision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Please try contacting your surgeon's office again. Make sure they understand your situation. In the interim find and set up an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon close to your home. You should not wait to seek treatment. 

Best of luck to you.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your implant appears to be exposed. If you cannot get in touch with your surgeon, please find another board certified plastic surgeon. Please do not delay in being seen.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.