Smart lipo before vacation?

I'm 47 y/o female. 5'8" and 144lb in good shape. Leaving for a vacation to Europe in 6 weeks. Want to lipo my abdominal/love handle areas, but concerned I won't be fully recovered for the trip.

Vacation after surgery

I highly recommend you have your surgery after your vacation. Not only will you need to take it easy for at least the first couple of weeks afterward, you should also be close to your surgeon should a complication occur (it's rare, but can happen).

You won't be fully recovered from abdomen and flanks lipo in 6 weeks

I wouldn't want to sitting in plane for 10 hours with a hard swollen belly. You'll definitely be uncomfortable. If the areas are small, the discomfort level will be less, but it's not the best idea. Ultimately, it's your call. The patient in the photo link below went on a cruise 6 weeks after a mommy makeover that included a mini tummy tuck and breast implants and did well:

SmartLipo before vacation

SmartLipo, like any elective surgery, requires budgeting enough time to recover. The good news is that with it, especially when done under local anesthesia, recovery is faster than with other methods. However, everyone has a different capacity to recover, different goals, different schedule demands and varying activities. From a physiologic standpoint, you are well healed in a few weeks but will not see the full benefit of the aesthetic improvement. From a practical standpoint, this is elective surgery and the risks, although very low, are not zero so any unanticipated event can interfere with your plans. 

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Smartlipo and vacation

You need to go on vacation, enjoy yourself and your loved ones and then return home for Smartlipo.  Period. Have fun. 

Dr. Burnett

Liposuction and vacation

You should be relatively healed, but will still be a bit swollen in all likelihood. Good luck with you decision to move forward.

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #bodybycoan

Hi Tankr218,  Summertime is the time of year we hear lots of questions about having plastic surgery and leaving to go on vacation.  While in some cases this may be ok, it's not clear of your operative date and your travel dates.  In general I like to err on the safe side so I like my liposuction patients to wear their garment for about 4--6 weeks and hold off on heavy lifting (of luggage) and high impact sports also for several weeks.  Best to ask your plastic surgeon directly.  Best to you.  -Dr. Coan. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon