Is there any treatment for early stage capsular contracture without surgery? Any medicine that can help the burning sensation?

Any opinions that can help me please ! ( I have been use ibuprofen 600mg/2times a day ) not helping much ;(

Treating capsular contracture in early stages with medications

Early on, surgeons try to use leukotriene inhibitors (such as singulair for example) to stop the capsular contracture.  It may not be very effective and you may end up requiring surgery.

Early Capsular Contracture: Treatment Options

Capsular contracture around a breast implant may have multiple causes, including infection, bleeding and inflammation. It is the development of scar tissue around the implant which can compress and harden the tissue around the breast. It can be associated with pain. Typically, an early capsular contracture is related to blood around the implant, which sets up an inflammatory response. Anti-inflammatories may be helpful, Singular has been shown to help with early capsular contracture, as well as external ultra-sound. Typically, over time the degree of contracture will declare itself and may need to be addressed surgically with a capsulectomy and breast implant exchange. 

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Capsule contracture

You should discuss this with your surgeon, there are medications and physical treatments that can help, but you should not take online advice for those.  You should be examined by your surgeon and determine which treatment is best for you.

Capsular contracture

The studies regarding the use of leukotriene inhibitors are mixed.  Massage does not really help nor does any other medication available today., Surgery is usually the best solution for a capsular contracture.

Treatments for early stage capsular contracture

You can also try to massage your breasts several times a day for at least 20 minutes each time. You need to place your hands around your breasts and feel for the hard scar tissue. You need to really squeeze the breasts and move your hands around the breasts to make sure you massage all areas. The massage will help to soften the scar tissue. If you are consistent you can eliminate the capsular contracture with time. It can take months to see a change but it really works. I have had several patients with an early capsular contracture and consistent massage solved the issue. Give it a try!!!

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

LT inhibitors

There exists evidence in the literature for the use of leukotriene inhibitors in the treatment of capsular contracture. These drugs are typically employed for the treatment of asthma and use in the setting of a capsule is off label. Typically, in early contractors a 3 month trial has been shown to have some effect on softening. However, an established and organized contracture which has already caused upward displacement of the implant is unlikely to show any improvement.

As always, discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Is there any treatment for early capsular contracture?

There are lots of theories as to why CC occurs, but not much fact, I tpyically recommned the drugs that are in the family of leukotriene inhibitors and Vit E and anti inflammatories. There is also a protocol/post-op massage system called the Aspen system that may be worth looking into, have had some patinets with some decent success using this protocol. Good luck.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

There are a couple of non-surgical options for treating capsular contracture

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem.  I think most of my colleagues here that do good amount of breast augmentation would agree that for patients and doctors alike it is probably one of the most frustrating problems we still encounter, and if we could find a way to solve this one issue, our lives would be wonderful.  The first thing to tell you is that capsule contracture, as you likely already know, is not a dangerous condition, in that it doesn't risk your general health or your life, it doesn't make you sick or lead to worse conditions; it is really just an intense inflammatory response to a foreign body (breast implants) in contact with your tissues.  There are lots of theories around to try to explain why this happens, so for the purposes of this answer, let's suffice it to say that it's an inflammatory condition related to the presence of a foreign body, and it is not a "rejection" or other type of reaction to silicone rubber, silicone gel, or any other known component of the breast implant.  If we identify the condition early enough, there is evidence in the literature that shows that treatment for a few months with one of the medications in a class of drugs called "leukotriene inhibitors" may be beneficial at arresting or reversing the effects of the process.  These drugs are typically used to treat asthma and asthma-like conditions, but plastic surgeons for years have been using them "off-label" to treat capsule contracture with pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good results.  They are a different type of anti-inflammatory medication, so like ibuprofen they will help the burning pain and the other effects of inflammation, like tissue contraction.  In some instances they will lead to softening of the breast if it has become firm, but if the implant has already become displaced upward, as happens often with capsule contracture, this may not change much, and surgery may still be necessary.  At this stage, based upon my own experience with these medications as well as the reports published in the literature, I almost always give a trial of at least 3 months to my patients with early capsule contracture.  We have little to lose if it doesn't work, and everything to gain if it does.  I typically combine this with fish oil or vitamin E capsules and we might add another class of anti-inflammatory medication, such as Celebrex or ibuprofen too, if warranted.  That's the general run-down of how I do things.  Please check in with your surgeon and get his or her advice and guidance before making any interventions, as your surgeon will need to closely monitor your progress and advise you along the way as to what, if anything else, may need to be done to correct the issue.  I hope this helps and that you won't need surgery.  Best of luck.

Aspen system

Thanks for your question and sorry you are having problems. In my practice, I use the Aspen rehab system. This is a combination of ultrasound and massage that has helped a number of women avoid surgery. It works best with early contracture and is unlikely to help with a grade 4 contracture. 

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon