Petite Girl: Liposuction, Smart Lipo, or Nothing? I Need Help Before I Go Through with a Procedure (photo)

I am 22 years old, 5'0" in height and my weight has fluctuated between 96-108 lbs depending on my exercise habits. I have been researching liposuction and smatlipo, but am not sure what to do. I am EXTREMELY concerned about results, especially since I am petite. I have seen several before/after pictures that look horrible. I am a perfectionist and want flat sexy stomach with light abs. I also cheer and am wondering how long healing would take for my stomach to look "normal" (2 piece uniform).

SmartLipo has no advantages over other types of liposuction.

Over the years I have tried almost all forms of liposuction.  In my opinion there is no advantage of laser assisted or ultrasonically assisted liposuction over the more conventional.

Liposuction in Petite Individuals

Liposuction of some areas of fat deposition would be appropriate in you.  The preoperative picture of the other individual you show would not be a liposuction candidate as she already had abdominal definition.  If that is the postoperative photo of the same patient, the patient likely had a fluid collection that was not drained in quick fashion.  These results can be prevented if you follow the postoperative protocol.

Best Liposuction

You're young, petite, and athletic, meaning that more than likely you could make additional progress through diet and exercise and avoid liposuction altogether. Witht he right physician and expectations, however, there is no reason that you will have a poor outcome like you're worried about. Make sure you express your concerns to your doctor, and get in the best shape you can before the procedure to maximize results. Best of luck!

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD

Extremely concerned

If you are "Extremely concerned" and "a perfectionist"... then maybe surgery is not the best thing for you, based solely on your frame of mind.  It's better to think of these surgeries more as "an improvement", rather than "if it's not perfect, then I'll be mad / disappointed".

Also, the recovery from liposuction is significant, whether it's standard lipo, ultrasonic or laser-assisted.  Might not fit into your cheer calendar very well.

Smart Lipo best option for minimally invasive body contouring.

Although it’s difficult to know how much fat you have based on the photos you’ve submitted, I think Smart Lipo is the best option for treatment of excess fat in your situation. Smart Lipo is minimally invasive, and when preformed by someone with appropriate experience in the technique, I have found that it gives superior results compared to other liposuction techniques. The instrumentation is miniaturized and therefore the “foot print” of the surgeon having been in the area is significantly reduced. In my hands Smart Lipo has given excellent results in patients like you and is a perfect choice for perfectionists. Down time is minimal, scars are smaller, and you will be back to cheering in no time !

Robert H. Gotkin, MD

Body contouring

photos are not the best.but you require a full body analysis and a sculpturing of many areas, in order to shape and refine,i will suggest vaser liposelection to flanks,abdomen, inner thighs, trocanters,inner knees and probably the back, in order to give nice shape and convexity to your body. high espectations need high quality liposculpturing

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

With you having this MUCH uncertainty I would not operate upon you. Your expectations are very high that ANY poor or moderate result might not be acceptable to you. Please discuss again with your surgeon. 

Any type of liposuction can be considered

Your follow-up question clarifies that you're really only looking to get the area on the front of your abdomen improved and that the other areas are fairly muscular and not bothersome.  It's tough to tell in those photos, but it seems that maybe you do have a slight amount of excess subcutaneous fat in that area (as opposed to a loose bulging abdominal wall and little fat, which would make you not a good candidate for lipo).  You're young and your skin is in good condition, so any technique using small cannulas would likely do a great job. SmartLipo may allow you to recover a bit quicker with less bruising.  

Liposuction

I usually treat all these areas in one operative setting. It is fairly straight forward and you are already under anesthesia.  In addition, the recuperation is done once.  Remember swellingm will last several months so be patient.

Tumescent Liposuction with the micro canulas should do great for tummys and thighs.

From the photos, I think you would get great results especially if you have the tumescent lipo with the small micro canulas under local which gives the best results. Do your abdomen and hips in 1 procedure and then your thighs and knees in a 2nd procedure which can be done 1 week later.  Each at a cost of roughly $5000 on special with you back to work in 2 days and exercising in 1 week. It may be at least 1 month before you are in that 2 piece outfit to look good with final results seen 4-6 months later. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon