I had cool sculpting on my abdomen 2 weeks ago. I have pain near my appendix now. Is this significant?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. It is important to visit your doctor for a check up regarding your pain.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting/Liposuction/Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

Since there has been a change in your post op course, I would recommend that you follow up with your CoolSculpting provider and Primary Care Physician so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

CoolSculpting

I'm sorry you are experiencing abdominal pain. Some people do experience pain post CoolSculpting, usually neuropathic in nature. I would suggest getting a physical exam from your PCP, if you truly have appendicitis it would be a coincidental finding and not related to your procedure.  Best of luck, -Justin Harper, MD.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Coolsculpting Post Treatment

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some pain after your treatment.  We've seen a small percentage of our clients at Lipo Spa who have post-treatment discomfort or tingling.  This typically resolves itself within a few weeks.  Since it's been 2 weeks for you, I would recommend talking to the physician who provided your Coolsculpting treatment and scheduling a follow-up visit so that he/she can better evaluate this for you.  Best of luck, Doc Halliday

Douglas Halliday, PhD, MD
Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting pain after 2 weeks

There is a small percentage of patients who have post procedural pain. However, coincidental problems can occur and this should not be brushed off as this until it is fully evaluated by your doctor. It is possible to get appendicitis at anytime, and it would be completely unrelated to the procedure. Please have it looked at to make sure it is nothing serious. The CoolAdvantage handpiece is supposed to have less of this pain afterwards.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

CoolSculpting, Pain and my appendix

Dear Cool12345,Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting is a very safe non-invasive method for permanent fat removal. It only treats the fat just under the skin and is a very safe distance from the internal organs such as the appendix. CoolSculpting does not cause appendicitis but it can cause pain, tingling, numbness that will go away by itself in the next week or two. Our best recommendation would be to be seen and evaluated for this pain to be sure it is not appendicitis then you will know if this is normal post procedure pain or something potentially worse. I hope this helps.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Thanks for your question and sorry that you are having this concern and problem.  CoolSculpting is a safe and effective treatment for removing unwanted fat. One of the side effects from the procedure is post-treatment pain or tingling, which can persist for several weeks and should not be an issue. Anytime you are having pain in an area like you are describing, it is best to go back to your physician and make sure that nothing else is happening – appendicitis from CoolSculpting is not going to occur – so someone needs to examine you and see what may be going on.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting doesn't actually penetrate deeply so if indeed you have pain that you feel is inside then you should be seen and evaluated.

Go have an evaluation

Thanks for the question! Any time you have pain near your appendix you could have appendicitis! I recommend being seen by a physician as soon as possible to make sure that is not going on. Having some discomfort related to cool sculpting can be present for the first 2 weeks, but should start to dissipate after that. If you're still having a lot of pain (and don't have appendicitis) I would go back to who you received the cool sculpting from for further evaluation. I hope this helps!~Dr. Sieber