How soon can I go in a hot tub after Breast Augmentation?

I am going to be getting my augmentation in 2 weeks now and for me its that time of year that the lake and water is going to be a huge part of my life! How long until I can swim in the lake and sit in my hot tub at the lake?

Hot tub after breast augmentation

In general, if your incision is completely healed they should not be an adverse effect from you being in a hot tub. You need to follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon who would examine you and give you proper advice after the procedure.

Hot Tub Use After Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications. For this reason, patients should be cautious about getting into a hot tub or Jacuzzi following surgery.

Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed. In reality, small absorbable sutures may break through the skin and become exposed. In this situation, infection could occur in a patient submerged in a hot tub or Jacuzzi. Each of these environments may have unique and in many cases, antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection. For these reasons, it's important to make sure that the skin edges are sealed before getting into a hot tub. This usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to occur.

It's important to realize that every patient's procedure and post-operative course is unique. For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Hot tub/ swimming after breast augmentation

As long as your incisions are healed you should be fine to go in your hot tub. Generally, about three weeks after surgery. Check with your surgeon for specific  guidelines. Best of luck.

You can go in the hot tub 3 weeks after breast augmentation

It is wise to wait at least three weeks after breast augmentation surgery before soaking in a bathtub, hot tub or pool. At that time, although the incisions are still healing, they are healed enough so that water won’t penetrate them and possibly cause an infection.

As far as swimming, the earliest is three weeks, too. The best advice is to listen to your body; if you are comfortable it’s okay.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

2 Weeks

At 2 weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater if your recovery is going well. Swimming should not be done until about 6 weeks after surgery, since it is quite vigorous and requires upper body strength. However, please follow your surgeon's advice if they advise something different.

If you're outside, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.  

Hot Tubs and Lakes After Breast Augmentation

Due to the risk of infection from bacteria in hot tubs and lakes, and therefore, potential infections and complications to your augmentation, it is best to avoid entering lakes for at least four weeks post-op, and longer before entering hot tubs. It takes time to fully recover sensation in the breast after breast augmentation and as such, you cannot feel how hot the water in the hot tub actually is on the breast. To avoid compromising the results of the surgery, it is important to wait until the wound is completely healed before entering the water. While both may be huge part of your life, it would be a shame to risk the success of your breast surgery. An option is to postpone your surgery until after the summer season, then be ready for next year’s water activities. Discuss your post-surgery desire for water activities with your plastic surgery

Breast augmentation

Generally after a breast augmentation your skin will be sealed in a couple of days.  However, the risks of bacteria getting in around the implant are high.  I generally advise caution.  I would not suggest swimming for at least a week and would be after assessing the wound to ensure there were no concerns. 
Rodger Shortt, MD
Plastic Surgeon Oakville

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  You will fins that this answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons.  Overall, if your incisions are well-healed and without any concerns, there should not be any issue with proceeding with what you wish to do.  I typically allow showering after 48 hours and to get into baths, hot tubs, pools, jacuzzis, etc. at 4-6 weeks postoperative, given your incisions are healed.  These types of stagnant waters can certainly impact the incision and cause infections if not fully healed.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon and follow his/her instructions.  Best wishes!  

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Post operative instruction

Dear Newby,
    You will get different post operative instruction from different doctors. If you like your doctor's results than follow his recommendation. In my practice my recommendation are as follows : 1. Shower after 2-3 days with lookwarm water and stream away from breasts for 2 weeks to avoid bleeding . 2. No bath for 2 weeks, again,  to avoid bleeding. 3 . Light excersize , 2 weeks after surgery for 2 weeks. 4. No limitation of activity after 1 month . 5. Implant displacements massage, 3 times a day with 3 repeatitions starting 3 days after surgery. 6. Antibiotics for 5 days. This instructions are based on 27 years of practice and will reduce complications to a minimum. Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeons and check their before and after pictures to make sure that you like the results. Also, check the reviews.
                      Dr Widder

How long for hot tub and leg swimming after breast augmentation

My concern is that hot tubs are notoriously for carrying significant skin bacteria that can cause infection in normal skin that has not had surgery let alone skin with a fresh incision.  Lakes can also carry unusual bacteria.

Of course you need to follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon.

In my practice I would encourage you to wait 3-4 weeks.