I have a cyst on my forehead needs removing. What options do I have? (Photo)

I have a cyst or a lipoma i am not sure what it is classified as but i have had it for 6 years it is on the right side of my forehead and it is growing i do not want any nasty scars what options do i have i have been told that i should see a plastic surgeon/ Dermatologist. I have united healthcare.

#Lipoma Removal - Forehead

This is most likely a lipoma, as it is a common location and appearance for that mass.  It could be a cyst or even something of bony origin; you should see a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to have it assessed.

Assuming, though, that it is a lipoma, it can then be removed during a small surgical procedure done under local anesthesia alone.  The incision is usually surprisingly small, as the lipoma can be "squeezed" through a small incision and, while all incisions produce scars and all scars are permanent, the scars in this location tend to be small.

And, at any rate, much less noticeable than the mass you have right now.

I'd suggest a consultation with a PS and then take it from there.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Forehead mass

Without an exam to feel the mass, it is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis.  Regardless, the treatment would be excision.  The incision could be made in a natural forehead crease for optimal scar camouflage and would likely be smaller than the mass itself.  Another option is to make an incision at the hairline and excise the mass from up there.  Be sure you see a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options to remove mass on forehead

Is the bump on your forehead hard or soft?  If it is hard, it may be composed of bone.  If it is soft, it could be a lipoma or a cyst.  It would be important to examine you first to try and determine what it is.  The bump could most likely be removed surgically with an incision in an existing forehead crease to help hide the scar.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma on Forehead

It is probably more likely a lipoma than a cyst. Lipomas in the forehead can generally be easily removed. Often times the incision can be actually smaller than the size of the mass as many lipomas can be easily squeezed out through a smaller incision. Incisions in the forehead tend to heal very well. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

I have a cyst on my forehead that I'd like removed. What options do I have?

The most common approach is to make a small incision over the mass and to remove the underlying lump. Typically, your surgeon will have you raise your eyebrows while marking you to enable them to place the incision in an area where it will hide optimally. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cyst removal

Cyst removal can be done directly through an incision along the horizontal direction of the scar (parallel to the forehead lines).  A more invasive (and expensive) option includes an endoscopic approach, thereby hiding the scar in the hairline.  You would likely need to be asleep for this option.  

I have a cyst on my forehead needs removing. What options do I have?

Removal of the  lesion should be a relatively simple procedure, usually performed under local anesthesia. The resulting scar should be small and fall within normal transverse expression lines (you will see these when you raise your eyebrows). The “fancier” approach would be to use endoscopy to approach the lesion from above the hairline;  this would place the scar in an unnoticeable location.  This would require more  technology and would likely cost significantly more.   I hope this helps.

Cosmetic Forehead Lump/Bump Removal

Forehead lumps can be from the bone or soft tissue.  Some of the more common causes are osteomas (bony tumors), lipomas (fatty tumors), and cysts.  Traditional removal consists of placing an incision over the lump to gain access and extirpate the mass.  This leaves a scar where the incision was placed, albeit inconspicuous when done well.  Alternatively, the masses can often be approached from behind the hairline with small endoscopic instruments.  Usually two small incisions are made and tunneled to the mass for removal and thus leave no visible scars. 

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon