I think my belly button is too high after my tummy tuck. Where should it really be? (Photo)

How do you measure to see if you belly button is to close to my ribs cage

Belly button position

A rule of thumb for belly buttons is to place it roughly at the level of the iliac crests.  This bone creates the outward flaring of your hips which gradually comes in creating your waist at the highest level of the crest.  Your belly button appears to be just below the waist which conforms with this ideal.  

Tummy tuck belly button position

Although I prefer to put the belly button lower in all cases, there are sometimes forces that prevent that on the first attempt. It is possible when the swelling has gone down to adjust the position and shape of the belly button. This can be a relatively minor procedure. good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Belly button position after Tummy Tuck

Belly Button position can be a deceptive phenomenon. While the procedure translocates the umbilicus (belly button) on the abdominal skin, it does not move from its location on the abdominal wall. An incision is made in the abdominal flap to allow the umbilicus to be delivered. A scar will be present around the umbilicus demonstrating this insertion of the umbilicus. One maneuver which is often a useful rule of thumb in terms of umbilicus position is the fixed relation to the top of you hip bone. Now it is not universal and there are individual variations but if you place your finger in your umbilicus and trace it laterally around to your hip bone you will likely find that it you encounter the top part of your hip bone. 
Checking with your plastic surgeon for clarification of your operative procedure and pre operative anatomy are always good suggestions and he or she should be able to review your new anatomy with you. 

Belly button position after tummy tuck

Hello, usually during a tummy tuck the plastic surgeon doesn't actually move the belly button, but rather they leave it tethered to the abdominal muscles.  The loose abdominal skin is actually tightened and repositioned around the belly button.  In this case, it is not possible to move the umbilicus significantly from its original position.   If you speak to your plastic surgeon they will be able to tell you details about the surgical procedure.

Belly button

Thanks for your question; belly button position varies from person to person, during abdominoplasty your plastic surgeon try to choose the more aesthetical position for it .

Regards

Kemil Issa, MD

Correct level for the belly button

The belly button should be half way between the bottom end of the breast bone (sternum) and top of the pubic bone (symphysis pubis). An easy way to check is that it should be at the same level as the highest point of pelvic bone (iliac crest). Put your thumbs on the top of the iliac crest and bring the thumbs towards the front of the tummy at the same level - they should point at the belly button.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Location

The belly button (umbilicus) is normally located at approximately the level of the iliac crest (top of the hip bones). There is however wide variation among individuals. The umbilicus is also not always in the midline. It is important to note preoperatively the location of your umbilicus. Normally, during the operation when the wound in partially closed the surgeon marks the skin of the abdominal wall, then makes an opening for bringing the umbilicus back out to the surface. During abdominoplasty the umbilicus is not removed from your body. It remains attached throughout the procedure to the muscle wall, therefore it is generally not possible to significantly move it from its natrual position.

J. Stewart Humphrey, MD
Cape Girardeau Plastic Surgeon