Nipple piercing during surgery?

I am getting a silicone breast implant with a Inframammary incision. I currently have my nipples pierced. Do you think I will have to take the piercings out permanently? And if so, about how long after could I get them repierced?

Nipple piercings and surgery

Thank you for your question.  You must remove all piercings and makeup and nail polish and acrylic nails and other items which are placed on your body.   This is for your safety and is a state requirement in most states. If your piercings are not fresh it is most likely you can place them back into position 1 to 2 weeks after surgery.  It is imperative to consult with your plastic surgeon regarding this issue. Best wishes in your upcoming surgery!

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nipple piercing

In my practice, if the piercings are made of metal, I remove them during the procedure and replace them immediately after I am done in the operating room.
You should not have to permanently remove your nipple piercings.
- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Remove jewelry prior to surgery

Thank you for your question. You will have to remove all jewelry prior to your surgery including your piercings. You should not have to remove them permanently or have them re-pierced unless the piercings have been done recently. It is best to ask your board certified plastic surgeon when you can put the piercings back in. Best of luck,

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Jewelry during surgery?

Thank you for your question. Before surgery every patient should remove all jewelry, make up, nail polish or acrylic nails. You can place back the piercing shortly after surgery. Good luck!

Piercings and Breast Augmentation

You will have to remove all jewelry before surgery, but you should be able to put them back in shortly after. They will not have to be removed permanently.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Piercing and surgery

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  You would have to take the piercing out temporarily because of the risk of having complications with the use of the electrocautery.  You should put it back on 1 month later.  Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

It's safer to remove any piercings during surgery. There have been reported cases of skin burns when using electrocautery. The piercing should be able to easily be reinserted after surgery or even the next day without causing an issue.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Nipple piercings and breast augmentation

Ask your PS for their preference.  Personally, I tell my patients to remove the piercings for surgery, but the can be replaced the next day as long as the holes have not closed up.  If they have closed and will need re-piercing, then I prefer they wait a minimum of 6 weeks.  

Nipple piercings

I ask my patients with nipple piercing to remove the piercing for surgery, but they can replace them post op. This  prevents injury from the electronic coagulation. It also allows better sterilization of the breasts for surgery. We have had no problems. Good luck.