Is it normal to have swelling exactly 2 weeks post FTM top surgery (bilateral mastectomy)? (photos)

I have swelling on the ends of my incisions. I don't know if it's just the stitches that have not dissolved yet or the start of "dog ears." I know that if it is an issue, my surgeon will fix it for free because it would be covered as part of the surgery but, I'm still worried. I just want everything to heal flat.

Swelling two weeks Post FTM surgery

Thank you for your question and photos. What you are seeing is very normal at this stage of healing. It is not uncommon to have swelling along the incision line. This is due to reaction to the suture as well as swelling from the surgery itself. I believe you will get an excellent r result. I tell my patients that it will take up to three – six months to see the final results. It takes this long for postoperative swelling and inflammation to resolve. Certainly discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but I believe that you have a very good early result and will be pleased with your outcome. Best regards.

Is it normal to have swelling exactly 2 weeks post FTM top surgery

It is normal to have some degree of swelling two weeks after any type of surgery.  Based on your photos, it appears as though you have a normal amount of swelling.  If you have any concerns, however, you should schedule an appointment to see your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Post operative swelling

Swelling is a very normal step in the healing process. In fact, lack of swelling is very rare and is a signal for poor healing. Most of the swelling goes away within 6 weeks, although a small amount stays for up to a year.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD