No Difference After Liposculpture

I had Liposculpture 2 weeks ago, and I'm still a few pounds heavier. I can see no difference apart from my back. I had my back, thighs, hips, and upper/lower abs. My stomach area doesn't look any diffferent. The surgeon made incisions 2 under my breasts and 1 on my belly button. Does this mean he did my whole stomach? Is this what they usually do when you want upper and lower abs done or does the whole area get done? I seem flat at the top, bigger in middle, then flat down. Any advice? Thanks.

Post Liposuction Swelling - When Does It Subside?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It has been my experience that swelling gets worse someplace between the 5th and 7th day after liposuction.  There also is a natural depression that occurs after any surgery, but certainly after cosmetic surgery since one's expectations and fears are usually high.  Normally, after one or two weeks, patients think that liposculpture didn't work and that is was possibly the worse thing they ever did to themselves.  By 3 weeks, most patients feel that perhaps it worked.  At around 4-6 weeks, many patients think their plastic surgeon was a genius.

Swelling, bruising, itching, and discomfort all add to one's concern over whether the surgery actually worked or not.  In my practice, I take standardized measurements at weekly visits after liposuction which gives the patient hard evidence as to whether any improvement occurred and the degree of improvement.  Liposuction or liposculpture is a technique of bulge reduction and inch reduction, and surprisingly, has very little to do with weight reduction. 

Unfortunately and as frustrating as it may be, time is the answer and with time, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

No Difference After Liposculpture

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Seeing results after a lipo

You will not see a difference at only two weeks post op.  If you had a well done liposculpture, you will start to see results at around 2 to 3 months post op.  So patience for now is a great ally.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Should see some improvement at two weeks after liposuction

After 1 week, you should see a little improvement after liposuction and a big improvement at the 1 month mark and the final result at 4-6 months. That is a lot of areas you had done at 1 surgery. I hope your surgeon was thorough and not just taking a little here and there. Time will tell so be patient and see your doc about your concerns.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No Difference After Liposculpture

The swelling that occurs after liposuction can actually be at its worst around 10-14 days post-op.  Give yourself plenty of time to heal before you judge the outcome.  I always have my patients wear compression garments for six weeks after liposuction.  I have seen fine reduction of swelling and improvement even 6 months after surgery.  The incisions for liposuction will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  Ask your plastic surgeon if you have any doubts about which areas he corrected for you.

Paul Fortes, MD

No Difference After Liposculpture

Hello and Thank you for your question and also for the information provided. I can sense that you are worried about your results from having the procedure done. I can ensure you that after having any procedure done patients will be very swollen and have the sense of feeling that the plastic surgeon have not done a very good job. Swellings are very normal and it can take up to six to twelve months to finally seen your final outcome. 

Hope this can help. Good luck!

Ricardo Ventura, MD

Results

Usually after liposuction there is swelling on the treated areas, it may take several weeks to start seen results.  It is not uncommon not to note immediate difference in the first 2 weeks.

Roberto Gonzalez, MD

Liposculpture Takes Months Before Optimal Results Are Visible

Please be patient. Two weeks is too soon to seen any results from your liposculpture; it takes at least four weeks before the swelling subsides. You should begin to see a difference after a month. However, please note that it usually takes at least three to four months before you can appreciate your optimal results. Liposculpture is an invasive procedure and the body must recover from it. Also, remember that it is a fat removal process, not a weight-loss process. You should look significantly better and more sculpted, but the difference will not necessarily show up on the scale. Please consult with your board-certified dermatologist if your swelling persists past the one-month mark.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Swelling can hide results

You are probably swollen and that's why you don't see much of an improvement. Wait a couple of months for the majority of the swelling to subside before you judge your results. 

Too early to judge outcome

At two weeks after surgery, it is not possible to see a difference.  Between surgery and the first month, expect to see no improvements.  It takes 6 months to see the final outcomes.  At this point you should not be weighing yourself.