Dental work before a breast augmentation.

So my breast augmentation is about 20 days away... I realized I have a cavity, and would like to get it filled ASAP. If I were to get it done this week would I still be okay to proceed with my surgery? I just want to make sure it won't affect that.. if so should I wait til after surgery to have it fixed?

Breast augmentation

It should be fine to have dental work 3 weeks before breast augmentation.  I would avoid this starting a week before and for several weeks after your augmentation.  Some literature suggest doing prophylactic antibiotics for dental work once you have your implant.

Have you cavity filled!

Thanks for your question. I think you'd be fine getting a cavity filled 3 weeks before surgery. If you have a larger abscess that's a different story. Every surgeon will have their preferences, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend getting your tooth fixed first. 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Dental work and breast augmentation

Every surgeon has a different protocol about dental work and surgery. Sometimes there are periods of time that your surgeon will want you to wait between dental work and elective surgery. It is important to ask your doctor for her recommendations. Best, MMT

I suggest getting your cavity filled now before surgery

As long as your surgery is still 3 weeks away, and you don't have an abscess that may require dental surgery or antibiotics, I don't think this will affect your upcoming breast surgery at all.  I wouldn't want you to have a lot of manipulation in your mouth within about a week before the breast surgery, and probably about a month or so after the surgery, and definitely if you have any source of infection, like a periapical, or dental abscess.  Because of the risk of bacterial transfer through the bloodstream to the breast wounds, those types of things should be fully resolved before elective breast augmentation.  In the case of an abscess, you would likely need to undergo a root canal, followed by a few days of antibiotics depending upon how bad the abscess was.  Typical cavities don't usually involve actual infection, like an abscess does, and as long as the filling is completed and stable early enough before your surgery that should be of no consequence.  Make sure you run this by your own surgeon too, and get their recommendation as well.  Good luck.

Dental work

Thank you for your question,

Have the dental work now. Do not want to risk any infection. Let your surgeon know, but you should be fine to proceed with the surgery. Best wishes.

Definitely get your cavity filled BEFORE your BA

it is important not to have any active infections in your body when you have a BA. you have plenty of time to get that cavity looked after before your surgery. very wise of you to look after that now. if the cavity is filled, you should not have any problems with your BA.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Best to have dental work completed before breast augmentation surgery.  What you don't want is to have an infection of any kind around the time of, or after breast augmentation surgery.  Let your plastic surgeon know of your situation. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.