I Blush Very Easily On My Face and Chest, What Are Some Options For Me?

I blush really easy (which is extremely embarassing it turns my whole face and chest red) and also have night redness on the bridge of my nose and cheeks (no bumps or anything like rosacea). I found that Naicin mixed with b12 vitamins reduces both of these issues but make me gain weight. Why would they reduce it? and is there something else that would have the same results without the weight gain?

Blushing - one of the presenting of rosacea

Blushing can be one of the early features of rosacea ( thigh not everyone who bushes has rosacea!). The triggers for rosacea blushing (other than emotional) can include changes in temperature, spicy food and alcohol. There a progression in that presentation, generally with an increase in the persistence and permanence of facial redness, with the emergence of thread veins in some. Breakouts, thickening of the skin on the nose and eye symptoms can affect a proportion of patients.

Sun protection is likely to be important in your case. And I think you will get good result with treatment with a Pulsed Dye Laser like the VBeam which will reduce the general redness and the vascular reactivity of the areas. 

I'd suggest getting a full assessment and taking it from there.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Redness on cheeks and chest

There are many treatments available for redness of the face and chest including: Lasers and Intense Pulsed Light (photo-rejuvenation). I have had great success with the Spectrapulse IPL. Topical treatments, while available, are of minimal help.

Flushing, or redness that comes and goes away completely, is more difficult to treat. There are some oral medications (pills) that may work, but is rarely used.

Avoidance of triggers is the simplest treatment. Common triggers include:

• consuming alcoholic beverages
  • consuming hot liquids or foods
  • consuming spicy foods
  • changes in external temperature (heat-cold)

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractionated Vascular Laser Treatment

Consider Fractionated Vascular Laser treatment at 3-6 week intervals for 3-5 sessions. The problem should resolve.

Harold A. Lancer, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Blushing is a form of rosacea

Easy blushing on the face and chest is indeed a form of rosacea. You don't have to have bumps to "qualify" for this diagnosis. Depending upon the severity of your symptoms, there are many treatment options available for you. I recommend being evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. In the meanwhile, strict sun avoidance methods such as using hats and broad spectrum sunblocks are the most important things you can do.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon