Does sciton profractional laser work on icepick, boxcar pitted scares? (photos)

I've had one procedure of this laser done in January. It is now March and I don't see a difference. My physician recommended 5 sessions with 20% improvement each session. Should I continue doing another session? each session is $1,700 so I don't want to keep wasting money for something i'm not sure will be working. Please help!

Best for general acne scar reduction with Scition.

I like the Profractional laser for general work, but it can help with box car scars. I think its a combination of both Scition and procedure such as TCA CROSS that works best. 

This video shows how I use the Scition and TCA to treat scars in ethic skin types. (SEE web reference)

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser for icepick/boxcar acne scars

There are many different lasers that can be used to treat acne scars successfully.  Regardless of the laser, it often requires a few treatments over several months.  The way these lasers improve the scars is by stimulating collagen and this can occur over weeks and up to several months.  

Treating acne scars needs to be individualized to the patient because not all scars respond the same- Ice-pick scars are generally very difficult to treat (i'm not sure anything works really well).  Depending on the size and depth of the ice-pick scar, the CROSS method using 100% TCA may help.  From your photos it looks like you may have some active acne.  If this is the case, it is really important that you get your acne under control to prevent further scarring.  Also fractionated ablative and non-ablative lasers can sometimes cause acne to flare following treatment.

The profractional is a good laser, however, with more aggressive settings you can have more downtime with this laser.  If this is an issue for you, you may want to consider treatment with a non-ablative fraxel or even a microneedling radiofrequency device (we have been using one in my office and have seen some good improvement in both scarring and mild acne).

Jennifer Chwalek, MD

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I suggest a combination approach this type of scar needs fillers, subcision and TCA cross along with lasers.  Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Fraxel and other treatments for Scars

You can never judge how scars will heal by only one treatment.  Depending on how deep the scars are, it will take several treatments.  Also, sometimes alternating with other therapies such as PRP will help heal these scars.  Some box car scars also need surgical subcision to help as well.  Scars are a complicated process and you need to consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Microneedling

The action Profractional does work but you can get improvement with no downtime at a lower cost with micorneedling .Small micro channels will result in lifting. Ice pick scars are more diifcult to treat and can be approached by scar elevation, excison etc. See another Dermatolgist for second opinion.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon