Teardrop vs round implants? (Photo)

I would also like to know what the pros and cons of having teardrop verses round implants. I run a lot as a form of exercise will this cause rotation of the teardrop implant? Looking at a circumareola lift with submuscular placement of the implants. Will the type of implant make a difference if I want more natural breasts as you can see I have severe ptosis and not much fill at the top of my breasts.

Consider a Breast Lift With Augmentation

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. Thanks for your questions. With respect to implant shape, you may find that you get better results with round implants since you mentioned a lack of volume at the top of your breasts. If you have your heart set on anatomic implants, remember that they have textured shells that keep them from rotating within the breast pocket, even in active patients like yourself. As far as the type of lift, as other surgeons have pointed out, your photos suggest that you'd be well-served by a breast lift with an anchor incision (rather than circumareolar). A circumareolar lift is intended for patients with a minimal amount of breast ptosis. If you go this route, you may notice that your breasts sag even more than they previously did because of the extra weight added by the implants. Best of luck with your decision.

Combine Round Implants With Lift

The best advice about your specific procedure will come from a board-certified plastic surgeon who has the opportunity to physically examine you and listen to your cosmetic goals. Having said that, I agree with the other surgeons who recommend getting a breast lift that provides more support than what can be achieved with only a circumareolar lift. Round implants will sit slightly higher than shaped implants, providing more upper fullness while still looking natural. Best of luck.

Shannon O'Brien, MD

Breast lifting with round implants

In your case I would recommend a breast lift (inverted T scar) together with a small implant. I would recommend to use a round implant to give you that fullness on the top. You are not a candidate for areola lifting only, as this method will not provide enough lifting over time.

I am enclosing a link to my mummy makeover article where you can see the different degrees of sagginess of breast and the recommended breast surgery.

Shaped versus round

Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant, angel9691. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. So even a little difference can mean a big change. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go and sometimes requires changing the shape of the breast with a mastopexy too especially if you have had implants before. Good luck, MMT

Lift and implants

Hello

Thank you for the question. Based on your question and photos, I would recommend round implants with a full anchor type lift. 

A full lift will reshape the entire breast. Circumareolae type lifts ( binelli) are not the best option in your case. You have enought ptosis ( sag ) that a full lift is required. 

There is a lot of confusion about this question and many patients who seek minimal scars are often given this option. However, the final results tend to be poor with wide spread nipples and minimal lifting. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

In my opinion- you need an anchor lift in order to achieve your best looking breasts. Your nipple point downward and a circus-areola lift will give you a very limited repositioning. I favor a limited implant size when performing a lift and implant at the same time.

Teardrop vs round implants?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, you should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.   I would have concerns that the circumareolar breast lift that you are considering will not be "powerful" enough of a breast lift to achieve an outcome that you will be pleased with.  Be very careful with this decision-making…

In my practice, I would recommend the use of round breast implants;  personally, I do not see any advantage of using shaped breast implants in your case.

Ultimately, you will do well select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicating your goals, questions, and concerns. In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery. It will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Only after doing so can you make an informed decision whether or not to proceed.
You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link.

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Teardrop vs round breast implants?

Both teardrop and round breast implants can give a very nice result when they are properly placed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

You have mentioned the issue of rotation with teardrop implants which can be a factor.

In addition be aware that teardrop implants are textured, that is they have a rough fuzzy surface.

For what it is worth at a recent plastic surgery meeting a survey was taken of the plastic surgeons present and 83% of the surgeon surveyed use smooth round silicone gel implants.

Textured implants can be more palpable in my experience.