Prior to the treatment am I able to just use a tiny little bit of these topicals to keep the breakouts at bay?

I use retin a micro and onexton. Last time I had a fraxel I was on different topicals they told me 3 to 5 days before to stop using them. Although in those five days I got quite oily and ended up getting a few breakouts my question is prior to the treatment am I able to just use a tiny little bit of these topicals to keep the breakouts at bay ? My last fraxel went well otherwise. No results but was a decent treatment.

Fraxel and breakouts

Your provider should provide you with aftercare instructions and topical treatments accordingly to need and condition of your skin. There is a risk of break outs post Fraxel treatment especially for patients with acne prone skin, therefore your provider may put you on antibiotics or use topical medications to minimize the chance of breaking out. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Fraxel treatment and acne breakout

The best thing to do is discuss your concerns with your treating physician. In my acne prone patients, I will usually ask them to stop their topical acne medications for 5-7 days prior to the treatment but I will also start them on an oral antibiotic either prior to or on the day of the procedure to prevent an acne breakout which can occur after the laser treatment. I will usually keep them on the oral antibiotic for 7-10 days after the procedure. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Stopping Retin A prior to Fraxel

I would discuss with your doctor. I don't think it matters much if you continue it but most will say stop it for 3 days. Like the other doc stated, some acne prone patients I give oral antibiotics to because the procedure can stimulate acne.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fraxel and Topicals and Acne

Depending on the type of acne that you have I often use a topical or oral antibiotic before and after Fraxel since many patients can break out during the treatment and you want to avoid this.  Please consult a specialist in Fraxel for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD