Prior to the treatment am I able to just use a tiny little bit of these topicals to keep the breakouts at bay?

I use retin a micro and onexton. Last time I had a fraxel I was on different topicals they told me 3 to 5 days before to stop using them. Although in those five days I got quite oily and ended up getting a few breakouts my question is prior to the treatment am I able to just use a tiny little bit of these topicals to keep the breakouts at bay ? My last fraxel went well otherwise. No results but was a decent treatment.

Fraxel treatment and acne breakout

The best thing to do is discuss your concerns with your treating physician. In my acne prone patients, I will usually ask them to stop their topical acne medications for 5-7 days prior to the treatment but I will also start them on an oral antibiotic either prior to or on the day of the procedure to prevent an acne breakout which can occur after the laser treatment. I will usually keep them on the oral antibiotic for 7-10 days after the procedure. 

Stopping Retin A prior to Fraxel

I would discuss with your doctor. I don't think it matters much if you continue it but most will say stop it for 3 days. Like the other doc stated, some acne prone patients I give oral antibiotics to because the procedure can stimulate acne.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fraxel and Topicals and Acne

Depending on the type of acne that you have I often use a topical or oral antibiotic before and after Fraxel since many patients can break out during the treatment and you want to avoid this.  Please consult a specialist in Fraxel for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green