PMMA filler for Jaw Augmentation? (Photo)

I had Radiesse for my jawline .75ml each side to give me a stronger jaw, it lasted around two years and I really liked the result. I want repeat the procedure, however my doctor recommended to use PMMA this time since it is a very small amount needed and it will be permanent. I've seen bad stories about PMMA but he told me in my case it is safe due to the amount. I would like to hear others opinions in regard such filler for Jaw Augmentation. Thanks in advance!

PMMA good choice for jawline augmentation

Hello and thanks for posting.

PMMA microspheres are the long-lasting component of Bellafill, the only FDA approved permanent facial filler.  Bellafill is currently approved for naso-labial folds and acne scars, but has been safely used in “off-label” locations since it was approved in 2006.  By the way, many fillers are commonly used off label by clinicians. For example, there are no FDA approved facial fillers for tear trough (under eye), but fillers are used frequently in this location.

The main safety issue with Bellafill in the risk of late granuloma formation. Granulomas are late development of nodules in the areas of injection.  Most of the negative reviews of Bellafill involve this relatively uncommon complication. When Bellafill was approved by the FDA a 5 year post-marketing safety study was mandated. This study showed that there was a 1.7% risk of granuloma formation over 5 years (17 of 1000 patients developed granulomas in this study). In my experience, granulomas are also a manageable problem – a series of injections of triamcinolone and 5FU reliably shrinks the nodules down. There are also data from Europe and China suggesting that deep injection of PMMA onto bone further lessens the risk of granuloma because of the paucity of immunologic cells in this anatomic location.

Personally, I have treated many patients with Bellafill for jawline augmentation with excellent results and no problems.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Vero Beach Internist

Permanent fillers

Hi and thanks for your question.If you had a good result with HA fillers like volume and you are looking for something more permanent, PMMA fillers like Bellafill can be a good option for you . Most of the fillers get their FDA approval for just Nasolabial folds as this is the most common are and any other part of face is off label. But in therm of complications HA fillers are more safe than PMMA fillers

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Though I do not use PMMA for the jaw I have seen it done with good results. Please check Dr Gerald Pierone in Vero Beach Florida who is a superb PMMA injector and very skilled!

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

Fillers in the jaw

Thanks for your question. HA fillers like voluma is probably the most popular. Radiesse is a good option as it is a strong filler that provides good support. PMMA fillers are disliked by some due to the allergic reactions and some lumpiness at times. I personally have seen a lot of problems from permanent or long term fillers but in small amounts some injectors report low complication rate. discuss it with your doctor. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

PMMA in Jaw

PMMA in jaw is not FDA approved and if you do something off label or have an allergic reaction it could be permanent. Please consult an expert in fillers for the best results. I prefer Voluma for this area. Best, Dr. Green