Is it normal to gain weight after Liposuction/ fat transfer?

I got liposuction of my tummy/thighs and had the fat transfer to my hips 3 weeks ago. The healing process has been great overall. However ever since my surgery I've gained 3-4 pounds. I feel heavier & sluggish. My doctor says its b/c of swelling and fluid build up He also told me not to diet or do any strenuous workouts yet because of the fat that was transferred. My questions are when will the swelling go down? Is it normal to gain weight after the surgery? How long does it take to heal fully

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Weight gain after liposuction is most commonly due to excess fluid and swelling. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. I suggest consulting with your physician if you have concerns, and continue to follow his or her post op protocol. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling and liposuction

Often swelling is at its max for the first 6-8 weeks. After that you likely have residual swelling for 4-6 months or longer. This can be impacted by heat, exertion, and salt intake.

Weight gain after liposuction and fat transfer

Weight gain after liposuction of stomach and thighs with fat grafting of hips is most likely due to swelling and fluid retention after surgery. lymphatic massage may be helpful. It take several weeks to months for all the swelling to resolve. Eat a healthy diet and simple exercise is fine.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after liposuction

Weight gain for the first few weeks after liposuction is generally related to swelling and fluid retention in the areas treated.  Often the areas will start to look better in 2-3 days then worsen due to the body's response to the trauma.  Swelling varies greatly from patient to patient.  It is generally worse in patient who have a large amount of fat removed, darker skin types, and men.   Hydration is very important.  Consult with your doctor about exercise regimens.  After fat transfers, most physician will recommend limiting exercise to light non-impact exercise for a few weeks.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight gain after liposuction

Fluid retention is common after liposuction and swelling recedes over time.  If you have previously exercised regularly and have been advised not to do so, it could also be a matter of limiting your caloric intake based on slowing of your metabolism.

Liposuction - what causes the weight gain

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your surgeon is correct - your body holds on to fluid for a long time after liposuction.
  • Swelling slowly subsides but it will take 6 months for it to be fully healed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Weight gain after liposuction and fat transer

Thank you for your question.  Yes it is normal for you to have gained some weight after your surgery.  This is due to swelling and the fluid that was put into your body for the liposuction.  You still have a ways to go in your recovery.  It might take six weeks before you feel somewhat normal and you may not see your final result for several months.  
Best of luck.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Post-operative weight gain is normal after liposuction.

The weight gain that you’re experiencing is the combined result of the fluid your surgeon injected into your body for the procedure as well as the post-surgical swelling. This is a normal part of the healing process, and you can expect the swelling to gradually resolve over the next several weeks and months. As your doctor indicated, it’s not a good idea to diet or engage in strenuous exercise. Focus on a healthy, nutritious diet and light exercise such as walking. Each person is different and therefore has their own timeline for healing, but you should be able to enjoy your final liposuction results within 3 to 6 months.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS