Why would doc choose belotero over another filler for acne scars, holes and lines around the mouth?

that is what was used on me. i have used fillers for 20 years and was curious to try something different. There is absolutely NO difference post-treatment. Nothing. I have always seen effects of the juvederm/restylane fillers, but this time I seen no results. Is it an injection depth issue, or is the product less dense, or amount of product issue? I would say NO WAY to any doctor suggesting going Belotero for those trouble areas. Complete and utter waste of money. That is what really angers me.

Filler Considerations

The explosion of choices for fillers and non-surgical options is mind-blowing and certainly confusing at the least. The best way to break it all down is to think of the aging process in depths.
  1. Superficial fine lines and wrinkles - These are the fine lines around the mouth, the crows feet and fine lines of the forehead.
  2. Deeper folds and wrinkles - These are the folds around the mouth known as the nasolabial folds and the marionette lines.
  3. Soft tissue atrophy or sagging - These are the hollows of the face that are not related to the skin but change as a result of aging, weight loss and gravity.
The treatment for superficial fine lines and wrinkles takes on several different, but not mutually exclusive options.
  1. Good Skincare
  • Antioxidants topically and as food supplements
  • Retin-A as tolerated.
  • Sunblock (Zinc Oxide)
  • Alpha-Hydroxy Acid
  • Routine exfoliation (facial scrubs, Buf-Puf or clarisonic)
  • Chemical peels
2. Fillers - the fillers that treat fine lines are those fillers with the smallest molecule size. There are two fillers available on the US market.
  • Belotero - an excellent filler, painful to inject with a 4-6 month lifespan.
  • Restylane Silk - an excellent filler with lidocaine to reduce pain a bit. Reported to have a 6 month lifespan, but newer so the jury is still out.
These fillers should not be used as a replacement for those fillers that are designed for the deeper folds. If these are used, patients will feel that little was done for them and become unhappy patients.

3. Paralytic Agents - botox, xeomin and dysport - will paralyze the muscle that make the wrinkles. They have limited use around the mouth and crows feet, so the newer fillers should rule this segment for a long time.

The Treatment for Deeper Folds of the nasolabial fold and marionette lines are best treated with;
  1. Juvederm
  2. Restylane
  3. Radiesse

If you would like more information on these issues or any other issue related to facial aesthetics, please read my book "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging Through Skincare, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions".

Belotero...

Hey Babybee1. I understand your concerns regarding your Belotero treatment. When I began treating patients with the product I too notice that I had less than impressive results. I went "back to the lab" and started treating my patients with a combination of fillers, namely Belotero and juvederm ultra plus. I've has success ever since. You may want to revisit your BCPS and ask for combination therapy. Hope this helps. Good luck and good looks. 

Dr. B

Belotero vs other fillers

Belotero is used very superficially in the skin, for deep lines especially around the lips and cheek and I use it to fill the hollows under the eyes, in the tear trough. 

If you have used the same physician and they used a different product, then I would suggest, as you have said, not to use the product, but if you have used a different physician this time with the belotero, then I would not necessarily blame the belotero. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Belotero

Belotero is thinner and can be helpful when injecting into the skin.  Some folks do absorb it quicker so it may not be for you.  It still remains a useful filler.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

We do use Belotero with great success

Thanks for your question. We do use Belotero with great success with many patients and when you have
an expert injector, you should get similar results with this product, as you should with many of the other
HA fillers. We always recommend that you have these injections given in the offices of a board-certified
dermatologist or plastic surgeon and that the person injecting you understands the differences with
injection techniques when using the different fillers. Belotero for the most part is used more superficially
than the others, and is very useful for areas around the mouth and in the tear trough areas; although it is
used successfully in other areas as well. I would recommend at this point is to return to your provider and
see what they think, what is going on, and what can be done to enhance the results at this time.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero versus Restylane

I would say if the only difference between the 2 sessions was not the physician injector but the product - Restylane where you had a positive result and Belotero where you did not, then it is the product.

Belotero is an excellent product but if the same doctor who did your previous procedures could not replicate the same results for you then continue with Restylane.

Not every product works for everybody.

Why switch it up if something is working well for you ?