Does CoolSculpting Work? I've been told it's only a one time treatment and results last.

I'm thinking of COOL SCULPTING for my stomach area. I've been told it's only a one time treatment and results last. Does it hurt and does it really remove fat cells permanently? And dangers with age of patient?
Hi There,

Here’s a link to some questions that may help you with your research:

How Long Does the Coolsculpting Procedure Last and How Many Treatments Are Needed?
CoolSculpting Q&A

Yes, CoolSculpting really works.

The simple answer to your question is yes CoolSculpting does in fact work. Generally we recommend a two treatment protocol for patients considering the procedure. You will generally see up to a 20% reduction in the fat layer of the treated areas after one treatment, but if you do a second treatment 30 days after the first the result can in fact be doubled. This two treatment protocol plus a post treatment massage regimen has been proven to provide best results. My best recommendation would be to seek out the office of a board certified plastic surgeon and schedule yourself for a consultation. Good luck!

CoolSculpting Works

Coolsculpting is the best option for nonsurgical fat reduction. With each treatment, 20% of the fat cells on average are killed. However, patient selection is key. Most patients experience a mild tenderness for a short time post treatment, and the fat cells that are killed due not return. However, the remaining fat cells can grow or shrink with weight changes. We have successfully performed coolsculpting in a wide range of age including patients in their 70s. Consult in person with a board certified physician who can offer both liposuction and coolsculpting to have the best possible treatment options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting definitely works!

Hi Natalie,  CoolSculpting definitely works.  I've come to love it as a tool, and prefer it to liposuction in many situations because I've found the results to match or exceed those I could achieve with liposuction, which I have done for twenty-five years.  Since it is performed without surgery or anesthesia, it avoids their associated risks.  The results are lasting just as liposuction results are lasting: the removed cells are gone and the contour remains, though neither liposuction nor CoolSculpting are a method of weight loss.  Also, as with liposuction, CoolSculpting is just a tool, and results from any tool depend primarily upon how it is used.  I think one should check out a CoolSculpting doc the same way one would check out a liposuction doc: research their experience, results, etc.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting treatments.

CoolSculpting is a great, FDA-approved treatment for fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks. It can be used safely for off-label treatment of the upper arms, inner/outer thighs, bra-strap area and above the knees. The advance cooling technology selectively targets and eliminates fat cells gently and gradually without affecting the surrounding tissue.Patients in our office have seen an average fat reduction of 20-25% with each treatment. Depending on the patient's body composition and outcome goals, it may take more than one treatment to achieve optimal results. It takes about 2-3 months to get a general idea of the final results. The results are long-lasting as long as you maintain a stable healthy lifestyle. I recommend scheduling a consultation to determine if your an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and results

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure.  Without a consultation it is impossible to say if you need one or more treatments.  It depends on your anatomy and the amount of fat that needs to be reduced in an area.  The cells that are frozen are permanently gone.  However, if you gain weight you can get new fat cells in that area.  I have treated all ages and the procedure is not painful.  Some patients have had tenderness in the treated area for several days after coolsculpting.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting.

Body reshaping

Yes Cool Sculpting works!

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including Cool Sculpting, tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

Is CoolSculpting Right for Me?

CoolSculpting works via a process called cryoliposis, which is basically the selective destruction of fat cells. The number of treatments needed vary from patient to patient. Something to keep in mind is that it is difficult to look at one area of the tummy, for example the lower abdomen, without looking at the entire area holistically. For the absolute best results, the upper and lower stomach should be treated as well as the flanks/love handles. That way the entire area is being treated and results will be more uniform and noticeable. For some patients, just one treatment per area is fine but generally speaking, most people need at least two treatments. If you are considering doing CoolSculpting, I recommend approaching the treatment holistically and doing two treatments per area. The results will last for as long as you are able to maintain them. Think about it this way, if someone gets liposuction, the fat removed is gone. That specific fat will not come back BUT if the person does not exercise or maintain a healthy lifestyle, then they may develop fat again in those areas. It is difficult for any doctor to say anything is gone forever. In regards to CoolSculpting, there is not an expiration date on the results. The long-term results depend on you. It is always best to make a consultation appointment with your doctor to see if CoolSculpting is right for you. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

We perform Coolsculpting in our practice and our patients are very happy with the results.   I have also done it myself and I truly believe it works.  The fat cells in each bulge being treated will undergo a programmed cell death induced by the freezing of cells and those dead cells will be removed by your immune system.  You can expect a 20-25% decrease in the size of the bulge which you should see somewhere between 3 weeks and 3 months.  If you are happy with the results but desire a greater reduction, the same area can be treated again.  The procedure is safe but requires a physician evaluation.  For instance, if you have a hernia in an area you want treated, I do not believe it is safe because part of your bowel could get frozen which can lead to serious problems.  Patient age is not an issue.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

I've been told it's only a onetime treatment and results last.

Coolsculpting induces programmed cell death by selectively freezing fat cells. Some patients only require one treatment. But it really depends on the amount of fat you have. Other patients require multiple treatments. The results last if you maintain your weight and healthy lifestyle.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the patient and the number of treatment areas

Hello Natalie 1128, 

Coolsculpting or Cryolypolysis is a non-invasive way to freeze and thereby damage fat cells causing them to shrink or dissolve. It is effective and safer than undergoing liposuction.  The results from coolsclupt are real and visible although likely not as dramatic as liposuction. The procedure usually takes 1-2 hours for a single area and if you have several areas - upper abdomen, lower abdomen, left/right hip, back, outer or inner thighs can add additional time. Additionally, if you have a larger collection of tissue it may require more than one treatment to the same area.  The results usually aren't visible for ~ 6-8 weeks and are improved by massaging the area. The treatment does result in some discomfort and even some tenderness and numbness for the first few days or week after the procedure. I am not aware of any long/permanent pain or numbness resulting from this procedure.

Joseph B. Eby, MD, FACS