Big bubble on lip after anesthesia? (photos)

I woke up from surgery (I had a BA) and it was general anesthesia, through a needle...I woke up with a big bubble on my lip. It's been a few hours and the bubble is still the same size. What in the world is this? Will it go away? Should I be worried? I'm freaking out

Breast augmentation - big bubble on lip after anesthesia

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• The 'bubble' is probably swollen tissue from the tube in your throat, resting on your lip during surgery.
  • it is not serious and there should be nothing to worry about.
  • Tell you surgeon - s/he can check with anesthesia to confirm the cause of the swelling.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Bubble on lip post surgery

From the photograph you have included, it would be my opinion that this has resulted from a pressure injury to the lip either from the endotracheal tube itself, the tape that holds it in, or the laryngoscope that was used to insert the tube. I would recommend if you are my patient, to place ice on it for the first day or so. It should resolve without any adverse sequela. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Swollen lip

Thank you for your question. You could have a little swelling or a blister related to pressure from a tube in your throat during surgery and will likely resolve on it's own. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon as they know your situation the best.

Take care

Bubble on lip after surgery

The "bubble" on your lip is likely from techniques used by anesthesia to keep you comfortable during surgery.  It could be a blister or swelling resulting from pressure being applied from a breathing tube or mask during surgery.  Based on you picture it appears as though it will resolve over the next few days to week.  It can happen with surgery and it doesn't mean anything bad happened it just happens occasionally.  You can apply ice for comfort and to help the swelling resolve quicker.  

Bump on lip

Based on your photo, it looks like the "bump" you are talking about is likely from the breathing tube that was placed during your surgery. This happens sometimes due to the tape that is placed around the tube or if the patient bites down on the breathing tube. I wouldn't worry about it because these "bumps" always go away after a few days. I would bring this to the attention of your PS if you are still concerned. 

Bubble on lip

A bubble on your lip after anesthesia may be related to the tube that was placed. Often this gets better within a few days. 

Lip Injury After Surgery

It sounds like your lip may have been injured by the tube used during anesthesia. It appears like a bruise that will heal on its own, but check with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Needs a recheck

The lip bubble is likely from the anesthesia tube.
It looks from the photos like this will settle down over the next week or so.

Bubble on lip

Thank you for your question. This is likely from the pressure of the breathing tube on your lip. I would follow up with your surgeon. Time should be all that is neccesary. 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Anesthesia

Thanks for your question and photo. For general anesthesia they give you medicine through your IV and then put a breathing tube in once you are "asleep." It is most likely that the breathing tube caused some irritation in that area and will resolve on it's own. Be sure to let your surgeon know. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon