I had alcohol consumption 7 weeks after Liposuction. Is it okay to drink alcohol now?

I've had liposuction on my love handles, tummy area and fat grafting to my butt area, about 7 weeks ago. I am looking almost completely flat as I was skinny to begin with. My tummy is completely flat and I just have a little bit of swelling still on one side only but it's barely noticeable. Is it okay to drink alcohol now? I mean just one night really, and I drink very little, meaning a glass of vodka cranberry or 2 max.

7 weeks after liposuction

Usually by seven weeks post-op from liposuction, patients can resume activities and their usual diet.  Best to always confirm with your surgeon.

Alcohol 7 wks postop

Thanks for your question.  Generally after 7 weeks people have returned to all regular food and alcohol consumption habits.  I would still run any questions about your specific healing by your surgeon.  

Alcohol consumption after surgery

Alcohol consumption is not recommended during the early postoperative phase after surgery.

It is especially ill-advised when patients are taking narcotic pain medication.

Alcohol can cause dehydration, which can be an issue a few days after surgery.

At seven weeks, you are mostly healed, and I see no reason why moderate alcohol consumption would be a problem.

Always best to check with your surgeon first.

Have fun.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Alcohol consumption 7 weeks after liposuction

Thank you for your question. As long as you have finished all the recommended medication recommended after the surgery, you can have alcohol especially 7 weeks after surgery. It is important to understand that your body is still healing and it is recommended to drink in moderation as you are stating!!! If that is the case, enjoy yourself!

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol consumption after liposuction

You should consult with your operating surgeon on this.  Sometimes drinking can lead to bloating and this should be avoided.  However, alcohol in moderation should not be problematic at this stage in your recovery.

Alcohol consumption

It should be fine to consume alcohol at this point in your recovery.  Be sure to follow your physician's instructions for follow up visits to ensure that everything is healing properly, but it sounds like you are progressing nicely.

Camille Cash, MD

Liposuction Question

Thank you for your question. I do not see any reason why you cannot consume alcohol in moderation 7 weeks following liposuction. It is always best to ask your own surgeon and follow their advice.