Should I start looking into correction for my nasolabial folds? I'm 31, not sure if it's too early (Photo)

Lately they appear more prominent though I don't know if that's how they should appear? I lost 10 lb recently. Also I have acne prone skin which seems to enhance the look. Is this something I should get fillers for ? Or can proper skin care, weight gain address it? Is there volume loss?

Nasolabial Folds

When evaluating nasolabial folds they should be considered in the context of the entire face. It may be that you also have some flattening of your cheeks which is making your folds look more prominent. If there is some flattening of your cheeks then it is important to enhance your cheeks.  When enhancing your cheeks, if needed, you can also add to your folds. In the photo is appears that your face may be angled down towards the camera, this can alter your facial aesthetics.Answer this question

.

Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasolabial area and fillers

Based on your photos and the weight loss I would recommend Voluma in the mid-face and a smaller amount of Juvederm not the nasolabial folds to soften them.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in facial injections for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Deep Nasolabial Folds

Hi asa1116

Thanks for your questions and sharing your photo.

Nasolabial folds can be cause by many factors.

If you recently lost weight, some of the fat pad under your eye and cheek may have gotten smaller. This fat loss in the face, makes the nasolabial line deeper and longer. Adding some volume, like a filler into mid-face and cheek may help to restore volume of fat loss in face and help to dramatically improve your nasolabial fold.

I think it is always best to restore rather than augment.

Better to treat the cause than to cover up the problem.

This will help restore you to a natural corrections

Softening Nasolabial Folds

Dear asa1116:

Looking at your photo, I wound recommend initial enhancement of your cheek with a filler like Voluma which can sometimes lift and soften your nasolabial folds and re-assess volume requirements for nasolabial fold filling on your 2 week follow up.  All the best.

NLF

Deep nasolabial folds can be part of your native anatomy, or a symptom of deflation and descent of the cheek that can occur with weight loss and age.  Fillers can be used very effectively to soften the folds themselves, and as a colleague has suggested, they can be used to volumize and shape the cheeks, lifting the soft tissue and skin, and further improve the folds.  Your picture suggests that you would be an excellent candidate for fillers!  You should continue healthy nutrition and exercise, as weight gain will not improve your folds.  Further note that fillers and a medical grade skin care program work cooperatively, but do not substitute for each other.  Best to consider a formal consultation with a provider with an interest and considerable experience with fillers.  

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for facial rejuvenation with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. In particular, I think you would benefit from a small amount of Voluma in your cheeks. Voluma is a thicker HA filler that is meant to be placed deep so as to provide structure and lift. Once the Voluma is in place, you may also decide to have some filler placed in your tear troughs, so as to produce a more rested look. I tend to favor Restylane in this area, as it attracts less water than some other fillers, yet it is hearty enough to provide lasting results. You also may benefit from some filler placed around the mouth, but these lines may soften to your liking with the Voluma alone. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon