Is it OK that I didn't use hibiclens a full 3 days before breast augmentation?

I wasn't able to get hibiclense until 2 days before surgery (today) is it that big of a deal that I didn't use it yesterday?

Breast augmentation: Is it okay that I didn't use Hibiclens for the full three days?"

It's not a big deal in my practice. I believe the most important skin cleansing occurs right before surgery with the antiseptic I use to clean the skin. This preparation is just one of the steps in helping to prevent surgical infection. I have seen only 2 breasts out of over 12,000 with an infection. It's always best to check if your concern is a concern of your surgeon's. Hope this was reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Hibiclense

Using for just 2 days is better than nothing. Perhaps advising the office that it had not been a full 72 hours of use could be done. But the most important thing is that you use it the day before and of the procedure at a minimum. Best of luck to you. 

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok I didn't use hibiclense

Thanks for your question. Don't worry not a big deal at all. My patients are not advised to use hibiclens and I only have 1 infection in 13 years. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

No biggie (usually)

Using hibiclens prior to surgery is a nice option to try and reduce the risk of a post-operative infection.  Most doctors don't have this requirement and the risk of infection is somewhere around 1-2%.  Using hibiclens prior to surgery may or may not actually reduce the infection rate, but it couldn't hurt (unless you have an allergy).  So, starting 2 days prior as opposed to 3 day will likely have no clinically appreciable difference.  The only case that it may be more important is if you have a known history of infections with a bacteria know as staph aureus.

Hibiclens and breast implants

For years I did not use hibiclens and I have never had a major infection in a breast augmentation patient. It is good that you are going to use it for two days. I wouldn't worry.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Hibiclens

I don't think that this should be an issue. I would alert your surgeon's office and inform them however. Best of luck with your procedure.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Surgery prep before breast augmentation

Great question.  This will be a question that ultimately your plastic surgeon will have to answer.  I do not have patients use any special prep prior to surgery and have not had any infection issues.  This is obviously a preference of your plastic surgeon so ultimately he/she will have to decide if a two day prep is sufficient.

Good luck with your breast augmentation journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hibiclens before surgery

Using Hibiclens before surgery is a great way to decrease the amount of bacteria  that naturally resides on your skin.   The fact that you used it for two days instead of three days should not matter at all. Many surgeons don't even routinely recommend it prior to surgery. Your skin will be meticulously prepped prior to the procedure. Most surgeons also use antibiotic solutions to irrigate the pockets before implant placement. You will also have IV antibiotics. You are fine!  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  You will be just fine using it 2 days instead of 3.   Let your surgeon know, just so that he/she is aware of all aspects of your surgery.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

This should not be that big of deal. During surgery, you will be prepped and draped in a sterile technique anyways. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon