Bellafill apparently does not work for me!

Had 3 syringes, 1 every 4 weeks for acne scars with No visible improvement. Sought out a plastic surgeon who recommended cheek volume to help. Had 5 syringes 5 days ago, 2 to each cheek and 1 to marionettes. I told my doc that each time around 5 days post, swelling goes down and I see no results. He said I should see the Filler for a month then I'll be making collagen. True to form, $6500 later, this morning 5 days later, bruised but swelling gone scars are back and I can't see any volume! How?

Bellafill for Acne Scars.

Bellafill works very well for acne scars but you have have the filler injected right under the scar.  Adding volume to your cheeks and marionettes will help those areas but not help individual acne scars very much.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and acne scars

Hi there.

Sorry you're going through this.  The devil is in the details of your particular acne scarring.  Bellafill is great at CERTAIN kinds of acne scarring.  If the scarring is deep and pitting, it is very difficult to treat with any product, including "normal" filler and/or Bellafill.  If this is the case, then it is unfortunate that your physician proceeded with the $$$ treatment plan.  If this is NOT the case, then a few thoughts - Bellfill can take months to take effect as it relies on collagen production.  Furthermore, where/how it is placed also makes a difference.  It needs to be placed in the dermis.  If it placed too deeply, then it does very little/nothing.

Hope this helps!

No response to Bellafill

Without photos and mention of your current age, I will need to make some suggestions based on assumptions.  The Bellafill response can take up to two months to fully express itself.  This is based on proper placement of product and a patient's age.  The ability to make collagen starts to diminish with age.  I inform all patients above the age of 60 that the Bellafill response will be less due to age and decreased collagen building capacity.  The depth of placement will also determine response.  If Bellafill is placed into fat and is not in the dermal part of the skin where collagen is made, the products will essentially disappear and give little or no response.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon