How long should I wait after weaning my nursing baby to get a reduction?

I'm currently breastfeeding and wearing a 36 L Thad still a little too small. Before I got pregnant I was a 36G. I'm only 5' 2" and 155lbs. I would like to have the procedure done next year in the summer.

Timing of breast reduction after stopping breastfeeding

The usual consensus is a minimum of 6 months after there is no more milk drainage from the breast and the breast size is stable.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Breast Reduction after weaning

Two major considerations affect Breast Reduction after weaning from breast feeding. 
The first, the breasts much reach and remain at their new sizes. There is no point in operating on breasts which are still changing in size and thereby either under or over remove breast tissue. Just like no one knowingly would build a home on a shifting foundation, we would want your breasts to reach and remain at their new sizes. 
Secind, lactating breasts ducts are not sterile. They contain bacteria. By cutting across such breasts ducts the risk of infection is increased. 
For these reasons, most surgeons would prefer to wait at least 6 months after the milk production has stopped before performing breast surgery. 

Goid Luck
Peter Aldea MD

Breast Reduction after Breast Feeding

Dear melodycts,

Typically we prefer that patients have been done breast feeding for at least 6 months before coming in for a consult for breast reduction. Hope this helps!

Breast reduction after breastfeeding

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, patients are advised to wait 6 months after completion of breast feeding before proceeding with surgery on their breasts.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction After Nursing

Thank you for your question.  Most surgeons typically recommend about 6 months post partum and nursing before considering a breast procedure.  Pregnancy and nursing does affect hormone levels which affect breast volume/size.  It is best to let the hormonal effects of pregnancy and nursing wear off prior to committing to a permanent procedure like a breast reduction.  Your size will decrease after you stop nursing.  It is best to avoid over-reduction caused by going in too early for surgery which is a permanent procedure.  Waiting longer will also make it easier to assess how much excess skin there is and how much of a lift you need.   Congratulations and best wishes.