How Can I Make my Neck Look Younger? (photo)

I'm 31 and have always been thin but for some reason my neck seems to look way older than it should– especially compared to my friends who are the same age (see photo...I'm the one in white). There isn't saggy skin, just not enough fat. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem? Thanks!

How to make the neck look younger?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many ways to improve the appearance of the neck.  In early phases of aging, laser skin tightening, and skin care treatments like microneedling and light peels can improve the texture of the skin significantly. The V-beam laser can help with redness, Poikiderma of Civatte (chicken- like skin of the neck) Lasers can also help treat dark spots.

If the concern is excess skin, there are no non-surgical treatments that I have found to be impressive. If excess skin is the issue, I would consider surgery rather than waster your money on non-surgical options.

There are currently several non-surgical treatments designed to treat fat under the chin. My practice uses CoolSculpting for body areas, and we have been very pleased with the result, but we do not, and will not offer Coolsculpting for excess fat of the chin or jawline area. Once again, this is an area that is most effectively addressed with a surgical procedure. Liposuction in the neck, on the right person can provide a significant transformation with minimal downtime. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Old necks may be treated with botox, ultherapy, Infini, ThermiSmooth

This answer can not be personalized to your condition as the photograph is not a close up and photographs only show 2-D not three dimensions. If muscle bands are more prominent then Botox may help this. If the skin is photodamaged and inelastic, Fraxel laser resurfacing or Infini microneedling with radiofrequency may help. Skin can be tightened with Ultherapy, ThermiTight and Infini microneedling.  Filler injections are not commonly done in the neck and may leave irregularities.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck aging - treatment

It is apparent from the photo that you are a outdoor person.  This is a major factor in skin aging (80 % of aging is due to the sun.)  A tan looks great in a white dress until it looks like your skin needs a pressing at the cleaners also.  Start with skin care - protection and then medicate it with tretinoin (generic Retin A).  After the summer fun is past then laser treatment should be done by a physician experienced in using a variety of lasers.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Prominent Neck Bands can also be treated with Botox or Dysport

The other surgeons and physicians in this Q&A have offered excellent suggestions for treatment of your neck bands. Another alternative to consider is the injection of Botox or Dysport into your platysma muscle. This is a great option for thinner, younger patients who have prominent neck bands but good skin elasticity, minimal "loose skin", and little neck fat. The procedure takes just a few minutes to perform, with 4-6 practically painless injections in the office setting, and the results typically last 3-4 months. The treatment is relatively inexpensive as well. 

At worst, if your neck bands don't soften or go away to the extent which you would like, you can always consider other options, including platysmal plication. This is a procedure in which the neck bands are stitched to one another through a small incision under the chin. This surgery "tightens the corset" of the neck from the front and can be a good alternative for patients in their 30s and early 40s who are not yet appropriate candidates for a necklift/lower facelift. The platysmal plication surgery can be comfortably performed under local anesthesia with light sedation, if patients prefer this over general anesthesia. 

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin

Thanks for your question and thanks for including the photo. You need to have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn the various treatment options that are available for you. We would surely recommend a toxin into your platysmal bands on the neck. By using Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin, one can minimize these prominent bands and you will not look like you are older than your friends.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for platysmal bands

Botox injections are effective at softening the neck bands (also known as platysmal bands) that can contribute to an older-looking neck contour. The treatment can also be combined with a “Nefertiti Treatment”, which will improve the definition of your jaw line and create a beautiful neck lift at the same time!

Making the Neck look Younger

Most of my patients are concerned with the neck area.  The photo is difficult to assess.  If your main problem are the bands on the neck, a simple injection of Botox can make the entire area look younger.  If skin tightening is the problem, then I would recommend you consult with a dermatologist for Thermage.  If pigmentation and fine lines are your concerns in this area than Fraxel would be your best option.  With so many different causes of aging, please consult a board certified dermatologist who has a great deal of experience with these lasers.

Possible Smartlipo of the chin

You may be a good candidate for Submental Smartlipo. This procedure will remove unwanted fat deposits while tightening the skin. My suggestion is to consult with your doctor to decide which procedure is best for you. Good luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Treat neck bands not skin tightening to make neck look younger

I think you look great.  You're very thin which is very ideal.

A close-up photo would be very helpful.  However based on the distant photograph  what I see is prominent neck bands.  Injections of Botox may make the muscles standout less.  I do not understand help tightening the skin will help you and understand that the best skin tightening technology achieves only 22% of the tightening provided by a neck lift.

Neck bands be gone.

Being thin undoubtedly makes you the envy of other women. Nevertheless, thinness has its downside, as it can lead to premature signs of aging. You’re seeing this in the area of your neck, where the banding is becoming noticeable. The condition can be improved through a number of non-surgical treatments; however, none is more effective than Ultherapy. It is a single 90-minute procedure that triggers a marked lifting and tightening of the neck, producing results that continue to improve for several months. Other options involve a series of treatments. This is a one-time procedure that’s especially effective on adults whose skin is still youthful and elastic.

Hal Michael Bass, MD