My Daughters Ears Got Infected and Now Has Hard Knot. Can This Be Re Pierced?

My daughter had freshly pierced ears at the age of 6. While sleeping, the covers got caught on one of her earrings. When she pulled the cover back, the earrring back went inside the lobe, became infected and had to be removed by Dr. She is now 22 and wants to pierce her ears again. On the ear that was infected, there is a small knot, where the piercing was. I am told this may be scar tissue. Can she have the ears pierced again?

Although a full examination would be best to answer this question, the description suggests that it is fine to re-pierce the earlobe.  I would recommend not going right through the old scar tissue, but also make sure that the fullness is not a cyst.  Finally, you could consider a treatment first to try to work on the scar tissue, such as steroid injection, prior to re-piercing.  Best wishes.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS
Wirthplasticsurgery.com

Ear Piercing

Piercing is absolutely possible and the little knot of scar is not a problem.  Possibly the pierce would best be placed at the upper area just away from the thickest zone.  There will be no problems.  Pierce away.    My Best  Dr C

Knot on the earlobe

It sounds like it would be best to remove the knot, let things heal, wait a few months and then have them pierced.  It sounds like there may be a cyst in the earlobe.  If the lobe is pierced without removing the knot first, it will probably get infected.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Okay to re-pierce the earlobe

A small scar would not be unexpected from the trauma your daughter experienced.  I would think at this point it would be okay to have the ear repierced but not in the exact same spot. 

Earlobe scarring

Your daughter should be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon.  If the scar is keloidal, then I would not recommend repiercing.  If it is hypertrophic, then consideration could be given to repiercing but not in the area of the scar itself.

The knot likely is scar tissue but should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon prior to re-piercing. Many offices have a piercing "gun" and can perform that service for you on the same day. If there is alot of scar tissue a steroid injection and massage might be indicated prior to repiercing the ear. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Ear Piercing

Hello

Your daughter can have her ears pierced again.  This is not a contraindication to having an ear piercing.  She should not have a piercing over the scar area as this will just be made worse.  Should try and pierce the ear in another location.

Regards

Stephen Salerno