My Breasts Came out Two Different Sizes After my Breast Reduction. Will They Even Out? (photo)

I had had my breast reduction done about 3 weeks ago and one of my breasts appears to be about 2-3 sizes larger than the other one. Also, my right breast really sticks out under my armpit which makes it uncomfortable for me to keep my arm down at my side. I went to the doctor a few days ago and they said everything looks fine and to just be patient. I know breasts heal at different rates, but is a difference like this normal?

Breast asymmetry post-operatively

Breasts can and do heal at different rates and can and do have different amounts of swelling. It is really too early to be concerned about a permanent difference between your breasts. I tell my patients that there will be changes for several months before things finally settle down. So you need to be patient--even though that is very difficult. You should also discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

My Breasts Came out Two Different Sizes After my Breast Reduction. Will They Even Out?

Thank you for your question and photo.  I can why you are concerned.  Your very early in your recovery from your breast reduction.  Swelling is asymmetrical.  Final results take 6-12 months.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Your breasts are indeed uneven

It appears to me as though your right breast is noticeably larger than your left.  This could be swelling still at only 3 weeks postop, but in all honesty, I am afraid that with this much disparity, it most likely represents under-resection of tissue on the left relative to the right.  Regardless, it is still too early to do anything about it one way or the other, and you should simply wait for your tissues to heal and settle more.   You would never want to revise surgery like this before about 3 to 4 months if you don't have to because the tissues just aren't healed sufficiently to tolerate it.  Just be patient at this point.

Asymmetry after Breast Reduction

• It does appear in your photos that you have some asymmetry between the breasts.  It would be interesting to see your pre-operative photos, to see how much asymmetry you had before the operation.
  • Three weeks is not enough time to know for sure how much asymmetry you will have 6 months from now.  It is not uncommon to have more swelling on one side compared to the other, and this could be contributing to the asymmetry...
  • I think your plastic surgeon's advice to be patient (which I know is not easy!) is good advice.
  • Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing your photos!

Breast differences with reduction

Yes, you do look like one is larger. This may be swelling or under-resection of the larger breast. Best to give it time to heal first.

From your posted photos the breasts appears very symmetrical. Only an IN PERSON second opinion can determine if further surgery will be needed. 

Concerns about Breast Asymmetry after Breast Reduction?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Your concerns are certainly understandable. However, I think that you have been given good advice;  the plastic surgeon who has performed your operation will know your situation best ( exactly what was done and how you are progressing…).   Relative  to his advice, online consultants'  cannot contribute much when it comes to meaningful advice and/or reassurance.  In other words, online consultants will not be able to accurately predict whether your breast symmetry will improve with time or not.

Therefore, it will be best for you to continue to exercise patience and allow for several months to pass before evaluating the end results of the procedure performed. In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to rule out complications that may  cause breast asymmetry.  In the longer term, if significant breast asymmetry persists, revisionary breast surgery may be necessary to improve the outcome.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.