Will my breasts get bigger after the age of 18?

I am 18 and going to be 19 in 3 months. I don't have sisters but my mom and her sisters and their daughters all have huge breasts. I started menstruating at age 11 and my breasts haven't grown since 9th grade. Is there any chance my mom's genes might kick in and I'll get bigger breasts or am I stuck with the only option of surgery? I'm only a small 34B and I absolutely hate it. Will they ever get bigger on their own without having kids?

Breast Growth After Age 18

Hello and thank you for your question. Everyone's body is different. Even with an early puberty, some women have breast growth into their early 20s. You may see some continued growth. You are certainly not "stuck" with surgery. Give yourself a little time to decide what is right for you. Best wishes.

Breast Growth After Age 18

Although breast growth varies from patient to patient, it generally stops between 16 and 20 years of age. Even though growth stops, the breasts continue to undergo changes for the remainder of a woman's life. This is affected by weight gain, pregnancy, lactation and gravity.

Unfortunately, how these factors impact any particular woman is variable. In many cases, pregnancy and lactation can actually make the breasts smaller. For this reason, the most reliable method of addressing breast hypoplasia in someone in your age group is with breast augmentation surgery.

Under these circumstances, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Breast growth after 18

How about the women on your father's side? Are they well developed, too?

Your breasts may continue to grow for a year or more. I think you should probably wait to see if they do.

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast development

Most breast development has stopped by the age of 18.  It is very unlikely you will experience any additional breast growth especially since your growth seems to have stopped several years ago.  Even if you do become pregnant and experience some increased growth very likely it will not continue after pregnancy is over.  Many women experience growth during pregnancy and breast feeding but often end up with breasts smaller than they were before they got pregnant.  If you have a significant weight gain overall you may experience some breast growth.  Obviously however this is not an optimal situation.  It seems

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Growth

Your breasts may grow larger with pregnancy or weight gain. However, I would wait a few more years until considering a breast augmentation. Are they proportionate in size with your overall body contour? Proportion is usually what patients try to achieve with breast augmentation.

Breast Implants or Fat Transfer

Hi There,

I think you have reached your maximum breast size unless you gain weight or become pregnant. However after pregnancy your breasts will shrink down. If you desire to have larger breasts your options would be fat transfer to the breasts or breast implants.

Mansour Bendago, FRCSC

Although, it is unlikely your breasts will grow more at this point, it is still possible that they may.   There should be no need to rush into a breast augmentation surgery, so give yourself some time before making this decision.  If you do choose to have breast augmentation, be certain to do your "homework" and be fully informed as to the risks and limitations of the surgery.  Remember, breast augmentation is a luxury item.  Treat it is a such.  As with any luxury purchase, do not sacrifice a necessity for larger breasts.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast development

Obviously the timeline for breast development varies from one person to another.  However, 8 years after menarche and stable breast size for 4 years or so, your breast development is likely complete.  Your pediatrician is the best person to ask.

Breast growth after 18 years of age

Thank you for your question.  Based on your history is likely the only weight gain will increase your breast size further.  However I would wait until you are 21 or 22 to consider breast augmentation.  Waiting well will give you the continued emotional development to make the best decision for you.

Change in breast size after age 18

It sounds like your breasts have reached it maximun size by now. They could become larger only during pregnancy or by gaining excessive weight due to resonse to hormonal changes and or restoring more fatty tissue. Augmentation mammoplasty is the alternative option.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon