Will my breasts get bigger after the age of 18?

I am 18 and going to be 19 in 3 months. I don't have sisters but my mom and her sisters and their daughters all have huge breasts. I started menstruating at age 11 and my breasts haven't grown since 9th grade. Is there any chance my mom's genes might kick in and I'll get bigger breasts or am I stuck with the only option of surgery? I'm only a small 34B and I absolutely hate it. Will they ever get bigger on their own without having kids?

Breast Growth After Age 18

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question. Everyone's body is different. Even with an early puberty, some women have breast growth into their early 20s. You may see some continued growth. You are certainly not "stuck" with surgery. Give yourself a little time to decide what is right for you. Best wishes.

Breasts continue to change throughout a woman's lifetime.

Although breast development is an individual characteristic of every female, we can generally say that breasts will stop developing at the end of puberty. By the time you reach your late teens to early twenties, your breasts are most likely fully developed. However, you should take into consideration that your breasts can change throughout your lifetime - you will see them grow during pregnancy and breastfeeding, they might become bigger or smaller if you gain or lose weight, and many women even notice changes in their breast size during different parts of their menstrual cycle.

I hope that answers your question on breast development. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

If you ever decide to have surgery, you might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select an implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you choose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Maybe, But Hard to Say

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to say: some people take longer to mature than others. Some people can continue to develop into their early 20's. Your breasts might grow a little bit larger, but I wouldn't count on it.

Typically mostly fully developed by now

You may have inherited breast tendancies from your Dad's side of the family. Short of marked weight gain, pregnancy and eventually menopause, your breasts will likely not enlarge any further and therefore you can consider breast augmentation surgery.

Very common, very safe and effective and if you are a mature 18-19 year old you may well be a good candidate. Seek consultation with a plastic surgeon to find out your options.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Growth After Age 18

Although breast growth varies from patient to patient, it generally stops between 16 and 20 years of age. Even though growth stops, the breasts continue to undergo changes for the remainder of a woman's life. This is affected by weight gain, pregnancy, lactation and gravity.

Unfortunately, how these factors impact any particular woman is variable. In many cases, pregnancy and lactation can actually make the breasts smaller. For this reason, the most reliable method of addressing breast hypoplasia in someone in your age group is with breast augmentation surgery.

Under these circumstances, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Breast growth after 18

How about the women on your father's side? Are they well developed, too?

Your breasts may continue to grow for a year or more. I think you should probably wait to see if they do.

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast development

Most breast development has stopped by the age of 18.  It is very unlikely you will experience any additional breast growth especially since your growth seems to have stopped several years ago.  Even if you do become pregnant and experience some increased growth very likely it will not continue after pregnancy is over.  Many women experience growth during pregnancy and breast feeding but often end up with breasts smaller than they were before they got pregnant.  If you have a significant weight gain overall you may experience some breast growth.  Obviously however this is not an optimal situation.  It seems

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Growth

Your breasts may grow larger with pregnancy or weight gain. However, I would wait a few more years until considering a breast augmentation. Are they proportionate in size with your overall body contour? Proportion is usually what patients try to achieve with breast augmentation.

Breast Implants or Fat Transfer

Hi There,

I think you have reached your maximum breast size unless you gain weight or become pregnant. However after pregnancy your breasts will shrink down. If you desire to have larger breasts your options would be fat transfer to the breasts or breast implants.

Mansour Bendago, FRCSC

Although, it is unlikely your breasts will grow more at this point, it is still possible that they may.   There should be no need to rush into a breast augmentation surgery, so give yourself some time before making this decision.  If you do choose to have breast augmentation, be certain to do your "homework" and be fully informed as to the risks and limitations of the surgery.  Remember, breast augmentation is a luxury item.  Treat it is a such.  As with any luxury purchase, do not sacrifice a necessity for larger breasts.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon