How Many Months Post Op Until I Can Get my Dog Ear Revised? (photo)

Hi! I had my tummy tuck on 4/8/11. I am almost 7 months post op. Although I am very happy with my results, I am left with a dog ear on my right side which shows when I wear my bathing suit. My doctor told me he would like to fix it in the spring, which would bring me to almost a year post op. My question is, how long do most of you wait until you perform a dog ear revision? Thank you for your answers!

Dog ear revsisions

6 months should be adequate to determine if a dog ear revision needs to be performed. There is no reason in my opinion to wait longer if a patient is unhappy. The photograph provided, on the other hand, is more suggestive of residual adipose tissue that might be better improved with touch up liposuction. I hope you do well.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

“Dog Ear” Revision After Tummy Tuck

If you wait long enough most dog ears disappear. It takes 6-12 months. Patience may allow you to avoid a surgical procedure.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Dog ear revision after tummy tuck

It is reasonable to wait at least six months to repair a "dog ear" from a tummy tuck. In your case it appears as though it may just need liposuction to improve the contour. Your surgeon may not want to do it until it's been closer to one full year-which is also very reasonable. You should trust your surgeon and follow up with him or her at your scheduled intervals.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Timing of dog ear correction

Hello, There is no specific time that one has to wait. The longer you wait the greater the chance that it will improve on its own. If it bothers you and you don't want to wait, then it should probably get done. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

in my practice I revise very early, why let you be unhappy, like at 3 months. It is a very personal surgeon's decision. But a year is much too long. 

Dog ear correction after tummy tuck

Hi

I would recommend waiting for at least six months (or longer if the scars are still settling). The correct time for any scar revision surgery is the scar is fully settled with no further changes, whenever that time is. A bit of delay is unlikely to cause any harm - some patients even change their minds if the problem disappears/diminishes while waiting. 

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Dogear revision after tummy tuck

Usually six months is adequate time to allow before dogear revision.  You should be good to go by now.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Dog ears after TT

Your surgeon is giving your body the maimum amont of time to heal and the tissues to assume their final shape.  Scars will take at least a year to mature.  Persoanlly I don't like to do revisions before 6 months, but I prefer more time.  The scar may be slightly longer if you do it sooner rather than later.  I would  recommend you discuss it with your surgeon and tell him how much it's bothering you.  I am sure you can reach a reasonable solution that suits you both.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Timing Of Dogear Excision After A Tummy Tuck

Dogears are not uncommon aesthetic scar issues that can develop at the tail of a tummy tuck incision. It can be revised whenever one is certain that the dogear is not going to resolve on its own and is stable in appearance. It can be revised anytime after 6 months from the original procedure when all healing is complete and one has had a full recovery months ago.

How long before dog ear revision?

Dear Madison,

I will sometimes revise a dog ear earlier than a year if they look like they are obviously not going to settle, but I don't think that waiting a year is unreasonable.

Jonathan Staiano