Mole removal for slightly raised facial mole? (photo)

I have a black raised mole at the front my face by the nose, which I want to have it removed. It was flat and I didn't mind it too much until about half a year ago when the mole started to raise. It's annoying to have a raised mole on my face. I'm wondering what would be the best type of surgery to remove it? Since it's located at my front face, I mainly care about the cosmetic effect. I'm okay with it if the mole could be smaller, flatter or have a lighter color. Any advices? Thanks!

Raised Moles Can Be Removed Without Deep Cutting Or Stitches By Scalpel Sculpting

In my opinion and long experience, the answer to which method is preferable for aesthetically removing raised moles, as in this case, would be Scalpel Sculpting followed by Dermaplaning if necessary.

Although removing moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

• As an important aside, destructive modalities to simply destroy the mole, e.g. lasers, electrocautery, electrodessication or cryosurgery should not be performed since these simply destroy all the mole tissue and do not permit a small specimen to be sent to the lab to ensure that the mole removed was entirely benign.
If necessary, following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes. In most cases, the procedure is done at the time of the consultation.

Methods to remove raised mole on face

Raised moles can be removed by shaving them off, which generally leaves the least amount of scar and has the fastest healing.  Removing the mole by shaving it off should make the area flat, but it is possible that some of the pigment could remain.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best method of removal for a slightly raised facial mole

A shave excision is typically the easiest, most cost effective, and least likely to scar method of removal for your mole. With this method the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The tissue that has been removed can then be sent for microscopic examination to make sure the mole is benign. From the appearance of the mole on the photograph, I believe that a shave removal would be the best way to go. Dermatologic surgeons are experts at doing this procedure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole Removal

The mole on your face can easily be removed by shaving it flat so there would be no stitches involved in its removal.  Because it is a pigmented mole, there is a strong possibility that the black color could recur after the mole was removed.  Please find a board certified dermatologist in your area for the best cosmetic results.