Can Miradry Be Used on Patients Under 18?

I'm going to be 16 in a few weeks (yay!!) and was wondering if doctors allow teens to under go this procedure.

MiraDry for teens

Yes, we have had patients that are in their teenage years.  Extreme sweating can be very distressing, especially during the teen years.

MiraDry for teens

Yes, with parental consent, this can be done.. I have had the treatment and i am an advocate.
it is  a safe treatment and less expensive than botox.

MiraDry before age of 18

Thank you for your question. miraDry is not a covered procedure by insurance. I have treated patients with severe axillary hyperhidrosis in the teenage years with parental consent and it has helped those patients. Newer techniques also allow for a safer and more effective delivery of the procedure.

Yes!

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. I have treated patients as young as 14 years old.  Let us know if we can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Miradry treatments for teenagers

I am a leading expert on Miradry and have co-authored a book on the subject. Miradry can be performed safely under the age of 18 if there are symptoms. 

DR. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MIRADRY FOR PATIENTS UNDER THE AGE OF 18

Miradry is not FDA approved for patients under the age of 18.  However, there is no reason why teenage patients who are medically qualified can't undergo this life-changing treatment.  Consent must be performed by the patient's legal guardian.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

If consented by a parent, miraDry can be used in Australia

Yes, we do perform miraDry - just like BOTOX for teenagers providing consent is done by parents. The youngest patient I have treated is 12. 
miraDry should still be permanent at this age as the eccrine glands form in the embryo, and do not regenerate. Time will tell, but logic prevails that a permanent reduction should be seen, even at such an early age. 

Hope that helpsDr Davin Lim Cosmetic and Laser DermatologistBrisbane, AUSTRALIA

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry and teenagers

MiraDry is approved for patients 18 years of age and older.  That doesn't necessarily mean that miraDry would be unsafe in teenagers younger than 18, but that it has not been studied in that age group.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry for teens

miraDry can be used in teenagers and I have done the procedure in those with severe underarm sweating.

miraDry and Botox are used in individuals under the age of 18.

MiraDry can be used on some people younger than 18

MiraDry can be used on some people younger than 18 even though the original testing for approval was done in adults only. It all depends on your particular symptoms and general health. The first step is to see a doctor who is experienced in miraDry and understands hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). 

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon