MiraDry Laser for Hands and Feet?

I see the MiraDry advertised for the underarms, will it ever be available for the hands and feet? Why wouldn't it work there too?

MiraDry for hands and feet

MiraDry has been shown to be safe and effective for axillary sweating only.

It has not been proven for hands and feet, and one should not assume safety in those regions. At this stage, we would not recommend its use for hands and feet.

MIRADRY IN NEW JERSEY - HANDS AND FEET?

At this time, Miradry is not safe for use in the hands and feet.  Representatives from the company have informed our practice that this may come at a later date when the technology has been developed for that indication.

We routinely perform Miradry in our office and have been amazed at the permanent reduction / elimination of underarm sweating in just 1-2 treatments.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Miradry gives lasting results to stop underarm sweating

it works using microwave technology to heat the area where the sweat glands reside.  A vacuum action is applied to bring the skin away from the underlying structures.  Currently that is the barrier to using it on the hands and feet.  However, technology always improves over time, so we will see what will happen in the next few years.  You can also try topical robinul/glycopyrrholate, or pills, or iontophoresis treatments at home to decrease the sweating.  See your board certified dermatologist for options.  Best to you, Dr. Jacob

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry for the Hands Coming Soon

MiraDry for the hands is supposedly being investigated by the company and they are working on an applicator and the treatment protocols.  It should be available by the end of 2016 or early 2017.

Shareef Jandali, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

MiraDry

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Miradry for armpit sweating

I have co-authored a book on Miradry and continue to see very positive results with treatment. I am aware of several studies evaluating non-armpit treatment.  Until the treatments are FDA approved, I would consider using Botox injections. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry and miraSmooth treatment outside of the underarms

At this point in time, miraDry and miraSmooth are only indicated for treatment in the axillae, or underarm area.
This is because the hand piece, specifically, and system in general were designed with the anatomy of this body area in mind.  To adapt this to other parts of the body requires modifications to both, to make sure the energy is delivered safely and effectively.  So it's not so much a question of whether or not the technology will work, but how to use it in such a way that it works safely.

Jeremy A. Brauer, MD

Underarms only

Hi Em in GA, 

Miradry is designed to be used on the underarms.
It is not designed for hands and feet and has not yet been evaluated for effectiveness in those areas.  

However, we all hope that Miradry will develop additional treatments to address hyperhidrosis for hands and feet in the future.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr. Chwalek

Jennifer Chwalek, MD

MiraDry not available for hands and feet.

It is not currently available for the hands and feet.  It is emphasized during purchase and training on the device that we not use it on the hands and feet.  I believe it is because there are small nerves in the hands and feet that could be damaged by the device.  I do think the company may be working on perfecting this treatment for the future, but until it's properly tested and FDA approved, I would not suggest it.

Allison Readinger, MD
Fort Worth Dermatologist

NOT for hands and feet

miraDry works by controlled thermal (heating) of the sweat glands, whilst cooling the upper layers of the skin. 
To date, it is super safe and very effective for underarm sweating, however if for hands and feet- it is not indicated. Possibly due to the proximity of nerves and tendons (especially in the hands). 

I am sure a similar treatment will be there within the next few years. In the mean time, the use of Glycopyrrolate iontophoresis is the best option in my opinion. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist