MiraDry Laser for Hands and Feet?

I see the MiraDry advertised for the underarms, will it ever be available for the hands and feet? Why wouldn't it work there too?

MiraDry for the Hands Coming Soon

MiraDry for the hands is supposedly being investigated by the company and they are working on an applicator and the treatment protocols.  It should be available by the end of 2016 or early 2017.

MiraDry for hands and feet

MiraDry has been shown to be safe and effective for axillary sweating only.

It has not been proven for hands and feet, and one should not assume safety in those regions. At this stage, we would not recommend its use for hands and feet.

Roger Bell, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Vascular Surgeon

MIRADRY IN NEW JERSEY - HANDS AND FEET?

At this time, Miradry is not safe for use in the hands and feet.  Representatives from the company have informed our practice that this may come at a later date when the technology has been developed for that indication.

We routinely perform Miradry in our office and have been amazed at the permanent reduction / elimination of underarm sweating in just 1-2 treatments.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Miradry gives lasting results to stop underarm sweating

it works using microwave technology to heat the area where the sweat glands reside.  A vacuum action is applied to bring the skin away from the underlying structures.  Currently that is the barrier to using it on the hands and feet.  However, technology always improves over time, so we will see what will happen in the next few years.  You can also try topical robinul/glycopyrrholate, or pills, or iontophoresis treatments at home to decrease the sweating.  See your board certified dermatologist for options.  Best to you, Dr. Jacob

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Hands and Feet with miraDry?

miraDry is only FDA approved for treating underarm sweating. miraDry is constantly improving technology to find other ways to satisfy patients and their concerns. 

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Excessive Sweat for Hands and Feet

MiraDry is a new generation of technology that is only available in medical practices for the permanent elimination of sweat and odor glands for men and women bothered by their underarm sweat. It’s a quick in-office treatment providing immediate and permanent results with minimal to no downtime. miraDry® is FDA cleared for eliminating only underarm sweat at this time.

#Miradrytreatsunderarms   #excessivesweating    #Miradrytreatsodor

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

MiraDry : A Permanent Solution for Underarm Sweating

MiraDry® is FDA cleared for eliminating underarm sweat. It is non-invasive, requires minimal to no downtime, with permanent results. MiraDry uses electromagnetic energy which is proven to be the ideal method for treating the sweat and odor glands in the underarm. It creates targeted heat in the area where glands reside and safely eliminates them.  At this time , the safety of treating hands and feet has not been studied.

#Miradrysweatelimination   #underarmsweating  #underarmodor

MiraDry

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Miradry for armpit sweating

I have co-authored a book on Miradry and continue to see very positive results with treatment. I am aware of several studies evaluating non-armpit treatment.  Until the treatments are FDA approved, I would consider using Botox injections. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry and miraSmooth treatment outside of the underarms

At this point in time, miraDry and miraSmooth are only indicated for treatment in the axillae, or underarm area.
This is because the hand piece, specifically, and system in general were designed with the anatomy of this body area in mind.  To adapt this to other parts of the body requires modifications to both, to make sure the energy is delivered safely and effectively.  So it's not so much a question of whether or not the technology will work, but how to use it in such a way that it works safely.

Jeremy A. Brauer, MD