Will Miradry Increase my Risk of Cancer?

I am 31 years old and have had axillary hyperhidrosis since the age of 13. I have used CertainDri (which sometimes works, but causes intense burning and itching), and have contemplated Botox. However, I would like to try to conceive in the next year and would also prefer to find a long-term solution to my hyperhidrosis rather than a temporary bandaid. I'm concerned that since Miradry is so new, that we may not know the long-term effects.

No...

MiraDry uses electromagnetic energy, ie. microwave technology to heat up and destroy your apocrine and eccrine sweat glands. This is NOT radiation injury. To date miraDry has been deemed safe by the FDA, US, CE, Europe, and most recently the TGA in Australia for the treatment of excessive underarm sweating. 

Hope this places your mind at rest. 

Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry safety

After the miraDry treatment at the BioSpa Newport Beach, your underarm sweat and odor glands will be eliminated. While your body does need sweat glands to cool itself, your body contains 2-4 million sweat glands – only about 2% are found in your underarms. Eliminating this 2% of sweat glands, does not affect your body’s ability to cool itself.

Over 30,000 safe treatments have been performed, there are no known cancer risks

No Risk of Cancer with Miradry

The FDA has cleared MiraDry for permanent reduction of sweating in the underarm area.  There has never been a link to cancer.  It is not radiation treatment, but instead it uses microwave energy to kill the sweat and odor glands in the underarm.  When considering that some investigators have tried to link the aluminum compounds in antiperspirants with cancer and Alzheimer's disease, MiraDry is probably safer than the daily use of a topical antiperspirant.

Miradry in Los Angeles

Miradry addresses the sweat glands of the armpits and does not have any specific cancer risks. It is FDA approved and I have found it quite safe in my patients. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

MiraDry does not increase risk of cancer

MiraDry is a safe and effective way of removing unwanted hair and sweat glands from your axillae (armpits). There have been no reports of cancers triggered by MiraDry. The energy used by MiraDry is the same as used in your average cell phone. You are likely to be exposed to less electromagnetic radiation with MiraDry than with a long telephone conversation while holding your phone by your ear. Isn't that something to think about?

Larisa Ravitskiy, MD
Columbus Dermatologist

MiraDry is safe and effective

Hi there-

The great many patients who have been treated with miraDry over the multiple years of research now have not ever experienced a link of any kind to cancer. The microwave energy used in the procedure is very tightly focused at the depth of the sweat glands, and this limited penetration is a major reason for its high degree of safety.

It is also worth pointing out that among all procedures on this site, miraDry has been among the 2 or 3 with the very highest rates of patient satisfaction.

Miradry

MiraDry is a safe and effective solution to hyperhidrosis for underarms. There has never been a single report of cancer related to this type of technology. It is FDA approved and has gone through rigorous types of tests and studies.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

MiraDry procedure

Miradry is a safe, effective and minimally-invasive procedure for treating excessive underarm sweating.  No incidences of cancer due to miraDry have been reported and a cancer due to miraDry is highly unlikely to occur given the nature of the miraDry procedure.  MiraDry utilizes microwave technology, which has been around for decades, to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits.  It does this by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  MiraDry is the only FDA-approved procedure that offers long-lasting results.  Studies demonstrate that miraDry results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and cancer risk

This is a question most often asked by mom for their teenage daughters and by women - in regards to breast cancer - as the lower part of the axilla and upper outer breasts tissue are overalapping. Tyically the bulk of the treatment grid is in the hair bearing area and we also treat areas below that where there is hyperhidrosis. Energy delivey is within the confines of the skin and several mm below and therefore risk of developing breast cancer is not a concern according to the company that got FDA approval for the device. No evidence of skin cancer has been shown with the use of this device. If you have such concerns, don't get the procedure.