I had an Illuminize Peel (my first peel ever) 10 days ago. Skin is very rough and red. Any suggestions ?

The first few days were fine, and I've had hardly any flaking. However, my skin is red and very rough and scaly. The texture is terrible and makeup only makes it worse. How long will this last? Can you recommend a good drugstore moisturizer?

Illuminize peel

The Illuminize peel is a very light peel and typically you don't get much peeling as you have described and are healed from the peel within a couple of days. If you are having red and rough skin 10 days after the peel, this sounds like an unusual reaction. You may have had an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the peel. I would you make an appointment with your dermatologist to evaluate your skin to see what is going on so they can get you the proper treatment. 

Orange County Dermatologist

Redness after a peel

Thank you for your question praytell. The Illuminize Peel by SkinMedica is a great chemical peel. It is the lightest one and a good one to start with for the first time patient. Redness and flaking are common after a peel. This can last a week or two. For my patients I recommend using the Avene Thermal Spray water followed by the Elta MD Intense Moisturizer every couple of hours to help recovery. Alternatives include tap water and Vaseline or Aquaphor. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician