Can anyone tell me if the substance in Kybella would affect the the thyroid? (Photo)

I would like a firm tight jaw line and am considering kybella but don't want to harm the sensitive thyroid. What would be the best solution for my problem? I have fat and sagging skin along with jowls in my neck area. Also ripples on the sides of my jaw.

Kybella

Kybella is a very straightforward to treat mild and moderate cases of double chin if you will.  The number of sessions needed is dictated by the amount of fat in the area.  The thyroid is well out of the way.

Can anyone tell me if the substance in Kybella would affect the the thyroid?

If KyBella sessions are done expertly there should be no residual effect to the thyroid. The real issue is are you a good candidate? 

Kybella & Thyroid

In the hands of a qualified injector, Kybella should not adversely affect the thyroid. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Thermage

The best combination for your submental fat and sagging skin would be Kybella and Thermage.  These two non-invasive procedures  combined will give you the optimal results. The injections should not be done near your thyroid.  Please consult an expert for these permanent injections.  Best, Dr. Green

The thyroid is in a different area than the area affected by Kybella.

Kybella does not affect the thyroid when performed by an experienced, board-certified dermatologist who has been trained in the procedure. The thyroid is in a different area than the area affected by Kybella. Please see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for Kybella.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

Thank you for your question. If Kybella is used as indicated it should not affect your thyroid gland. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Thyroid is safe deeper down

Kybella is a treatment using a solution injected with a small needle below the skin to dissolve fat.  It is only useful for people who have fat fullness on top of their platysmal muscle.  The platysma is the thin sheet of muscle that covers your neck, and gets hard when you make a grimace face.  While grimacing, touch the area under the chin (your doctor will do this for you in an evaluation), if there is fat there then the patient is a candidate for Kybella.  If the fullness of the neck is below this platysma then that patient is not a candidate for Kybella or liposuction, because of the other structures that underlie.  The injections are very superficial, going through the skin just deep enough to be where the fat is.  For this reason, the thyroid is not effected.

Looking at your pictures, I think you would be a good candidate for Kybella.  I recommend you see a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon in your area who is known for being an expert in injections.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella may help

Kybella may help. It is not injected into the thyroid tissues so your thyroid should be fine.
Loose skin is a concern, so your doctor will have to go slowly, and in small doses to allow your tissues to contract.

Hello Sundawn 50 yrs old,

The injection of Kybella should not be near your thyroid gland if performed correctly.  It will help with the excess fat below the chin (the double chin).  Although not approved for skin tightening, there does appear to be an improvement in the skin as well.  To better address the neck, a neck lift with liposuction would provide a greater result.  There is downtime with surgery though.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to go over your surgical and non surgical options.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella treatments will not affect the thyroid

Kybella is injected directly into the fat that lies beneath the chin.  The thyroid is located "deeper" beneath the skin and would not be affected by Kybella injections.  Most patients require multiple treatments with Kybella to obtain the desired affects.  In my experience, 2-3 treatments provide significant cosmetic improvement.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon