Im Thinking of Getting Perlane After Jaw Surgery?

I'm going on a year may 4th after having upper and lower jaw surgery and genioplasy. My face has gotten thin and long and im resembling an alien now. I'm thinking of getting perlane to fill in the hollows of my face such as under my eyes, under my cheek bones (which are fully pronounced). My jowl and my temples oh yea and under my lips, the chin. Does this sound like a good idea. I have pictures on my profile of how I was during my recovery which my face was full and now, the gaunt look.

Doctor Answers 6

Perlane After Jaw Surgery

Perlane is a great cheek filler and if you don’t like it, it can be dissolved.  Restylane or Belotero is a better option for the lower lid/tear trough area, though.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Facial Fillers

An in-person exam would really be necessary to provide you with advice. In general, facial fillers can yield a fantastic result when injected properly by a trained specialist. Each physician has a preference as to the filler they like to use for specific areas. For under the eyes, I would recommend Restylane. Perlane or Radiesse are great options for the nasolabial folds, and Radiesse works nicely for the temples. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified specialist in your area. A plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist are all great choices. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Fillers after jaw surgery

Fillers are a great option to add volume back to the face after it has been lost.  There are a number of fillers available, and each one has its strengths and weaknesses.  The best injectors understand this, and they know which fillers produce the best results in which areas of the face.  Perlane is a great filler for certain things, but for others I would not use it as a first line choice; I would select something else which would do a better job for the purpose.  For example, I love to use Perlane under the eyes in the inner half, or the "tear trough," but for the cheeks, or chin, or temples I would use something else like Sculptra or Radiesse.  The best advice that I can give you is to find a very well qualified and experienced injector, perhaps one from the link I have added below, and have a personal consultation to review your individual goals and what it would take to accomplish them.  If you really wanted to maximize your options, you could also consider fat grafting to some of those areas of your face, and in that case, be sure to select a physician who has experience with that too so that can be presented as an option and you can hear the pros and cons of that as well.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 87 reviews

Filler choices for face...

For the hollows under your eyes you should only consider Restylane.  For overall facial volumizing I would recommend you to consider Sculptra.  For instant gratification, Perlane is a good option in certain areas.  Please consult with an experienced provider. 

Good luck.


Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA        

The Institute


Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Perlane and fullness

I would suggest meeting with a well-trained and reputable provider to discuss all of the options, pertinent to your specific facial aesthetic needs. Sometimes one or more dermal fillers and/or treatments are your best options. Having a conversation with the right injector will help guide you in the right direction.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Perlane after jaw surgery

Perlane is a thicker HA filler, so it works to fill larger or deeper areas. It would be best for you to see a board-certified injector in person for an evaluation. You have a number of areas you want to fill, so you are going to need several syringes, and you may be more in need of a few different types of fillers, Perlane, Juvederm, and/or Restylane.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.