C to D or DD: 350cc teardrop implants vs. Round?

I have a C cup but would like D or DD... is 350 teardrop implant good for me? I would like them as sexy nature as possible. For some reason this thing isn't uploading my pics. :(

Hi. It is unfortunate that you were not able to upload your pictures. One C cup can be as different as night and day. I have plenty of patients who have C cups but when evaluated the only surgical procedure they need is simple breast augmentation. These patients usually lack fullness in the upper pole and have had kids.Yet, I have other C cup patients that will require some form of breast lift with the insertion of breast implants. I personally do not use a tear drop shaped implant for cosmetic breast augmentations. I strongly feel that breasts that are "tear drop" following a breast augmentation are more the result of careful pocket dissection, surgical technique and expertise rather than the implant shape itself. I encourage you to visit the Realself photos and judge for yourself. A tear drop shaped implant may become displaced and the shape would be affected.

As far as the size, its impossible to tell without the benefit of pictures. Better yet is a personal exam. The exam can tell us much more regarding the quality of skin, body frame and elasticity. Measurements can also be taken at the time. There is a program called TouchMD with which we have the ability to take photos of your breasts, load them up unto a touch screen show you exactly why the surgical recommendations are being made. It is a very comprehensive and educational tool as oppose to those imaging programs that cannot accurately reflect before and after results.

Always seek the advice of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Good luck

350 cc round or teardrop implants for a D cup

Thank you for your question.  In my experienced most patients choose round breast implants for a more natural shape.  Teardrop breast implants can look very nice but are more difficult to place surgically.

For more information on choosing breast implant cc for cup size please read the following link:

Implant volume and cup size

Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size just your cup size.If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - Tear drop implants or round?

The simple answer is that both tear drop and round implants can get you to a DD cup breast. However, the tear-drop (or "anatomic" gel implants) are more restrictive in the options available. These implants are best used when the width of the implant matches your natural breast width. Because of this, the number of sizes available to a given patient are much less than with round implants. Although they create a more natural upper pole, many women seek augmentation to specifically address this lack of fullness! Round implants come in varying projections which allow more freedom in choosing an implant to fit. Also, the upper pole can be accentuated to the point where "pushup" bras are not necessary. Finally, rotation of the implant is not a concern with round implants, but if an anatomic implant should rotate, it can create a very odd deformity to the breast.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Much more information needed

Breast augmentation consists of six decisions: incision, pocket, implant fill material, implant shell, implant shape and implant volume.  Each of these decisions are individualized and based on the patient's stated aesthetic goals and physical examination.  There is no way you can get a useful answer on line - you will need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Tear Drop vs Round Breast Implant

Thank you for your question. Implant size or shape selection is a very personal choice. Your own anatomy and your goals are the major factors in a result you'll be happy with. It would be important to see you in person and have you try on sizers. It is quite possible the one you are thinking of will be a good choice. Best wishes.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Implant size

While your question is a good one it is so very difficult to answer without seeing you in person.  Remember that choosing an implant size and shape is a very involved process that includes a specific evaluation of your size, the breast tissue that you currently have, the shape of your breasts, and the outcome that you are hoping to achieve.  I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-depth discussion of your implant choice and a customized plan for your surgery.

Implant size and shape?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D and a 38 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

Breast Implant size is an important component of the preoperative evaluation in breast augmentation.I prefer to utilize computer simulations to give the patients an understanding on their body what different types and sizes of implants will produce.

What size implant for desired look

Thank you for your inquiry about the right size of breast implants for you. 

The right implant for you requires a face-to-face evaluation because it depends on many factors. Your goals, of course, but also your height and weight, chest and breast measurements and skin quality. Your plastic surgeon will take all of these into account in discussing your options with you and what implant is going to be best for you. Hope this helps.