Can I get a breast reduction without a lift?

I don't like the after look of a reduction with a lift. It makes the bottom of the breast look So undefined and droopy while the areola sits so high up. My weight about 3 years ago was 121 since then I've moved up to 179 and I am only 5'2. I've lost exactly 20 pounds and I am still losing it with lots of dedication. Right now I am 158 and my breast grows anytime I do. Before gaining weight I wore a 32B now I am about a 36C. I want to get back to a Medium B however nothing works.

Hi, by definition when a breast reduction is carried out, not only is the volume reduced but because skin is also removed, a lift occurs.   Good Luck, Dr PG

Breast Reduction and Lift

Good morning and thank you for your question. It seems as though you have been researching the breast reduction procedure and are pretty familiar with the final look that you desire. However, due to the incisions and the nature of the procedure, you can not take the tissue away without also lifting. If you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with breast procedures, you can discuss your feelings about how you want your end result to look. It is possible! Good luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction is Always A Lift

Hello,With the exception of liposuction, which only works well in fatty breasts of older women, breast reduction is integral and inseparable to the lift. I agree with you, sometimes they look droopy and shapeless. For some individuals, a breast implant in addition to the reduction leaves the breast with a full, rounder, less droopy shape. This is a complex operation, and should be performed only by ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

If your nipples are low

in relation to your mound, a 'lift' is part of the reduction.  You can direct your surgeon to leave your nipples on the low side if you fear they will be too high after the procedure,.  Continue with weight loss and see more than one surgeon to help you through this and choose whom you like the best.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction without a lift?

The only breast reductions that I'm familiar with that do not require a lift and its incisions are either through weight loss or liposuction of the breast.  Both tend to leave loose and empty skin which is usually a poor tradeoff for avoiding skin reduction and nipple elevation scars.  You cannot expect your skin to tighten around the reduced volume of breast consequently the usual need for an uplift.Good luck and meet with a few ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons once you're reached a maintainable weight.Regards,J P
Jon A.. Perlman, M.D. FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery ABC TV  Extreme Makeover Surgeon  Best of Los Angeles Award  2015, 2016 Beverly Hills, Ca.  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for the question and I would lose all the weight desired and then if you still feel you would benefit from a reduction see an expert /experts near you and get their opinion
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Both go hand in hand. A reduction and full lift have normally the same incision sites. An anchor scar is normally used for both when there is severe skin laxity

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  I have not had a patient ask for a reduction without a lift, but, yes it is possible.  You may have seen some poor outcomes.  Generally speaking patients are thrilled with the look of a smaller and perkier breast.  I would recommend starting with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. They should be able to provide examples of their work.  Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon