Is it safe to resume boating and fishing after TT and BA?

Hi Doctors, My Husband and I enjoy fishing a lot. How soon after surgery can I resume boating/fishing. Also, since I would be exposed to the sun, I will be taking extreme measures to prevent any direct sun exposures to my incisions. Thankfully its Fall/Winter so swimming and tanning is out of the picture for me!. What would be a good/safe wait time to resume boating/fishing? Even if its just boat cruising around the bay?

Healing & Activity after a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Fishing

4 weeks should be fine, but I would avoid any movements of your core that would place tension on the incision or the muscle repair.  In addition, you would need to avoid engaging your chest muscles.  Just cruising around the bay would be fine.  However, if you are lifting things on the boat or hauling in big fish, you would need to wait 8-12 weeks.  Every case is different.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Fishing after mommy makeover

Thanks for your question.  You should ask your surgeon this specific question, but generally by 4-6 weeks you should be fine to resume fishing and boating.  After 6 weeks, it is usally fine to lift more than 15 pounds.  After 2 momths, it is usually ok to activate your core muscles.  Good luck.  

Resuming boating and fishing after TT and BA?

Most patients can resume light activities at 3 to 4 weeks after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  For more strenuous activities, like water skiing, I would wait at least 6 to 9 weeks.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Patients can resume full activity one completely recovered after mommy makeover.

The specific time at which you can resume boating and fishing will be determined by your own surgeon. After complete recovery which may be anywhere from six weeks to three months full activity can be resumed.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

I'm glad you are thinking ahead about your recovery. There is a healing process from any surgery. I encourage my tummy tuck patients to ambulate the same day of surgery. But you will be walking in the flexed position. You should be able to walk upright/straight in approximately 7 days. Most of my tummy tuck patients are comfortable to go back to a desk job in 10 days after surgery. If your work involves strenuous activity or heavy lifting, most surgeons recommend avoiding heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 5 weeks. In general, for most desk jobs, I advise patients to take 10-14 days off if possible so you can focus on your recovery and not on deadlines/clients/meetings.

In terms of pain, I recommend the use of long acting numbing medicine to numb out the muscle tightening. I utilize Exparel that can have numbness effects than can last up to 3-4 days.
Hope this is helpful.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Depends on the boat ride mainly

Dear mommyof03,

A lot will depend on the type of boat ride.  A boat ride that is jarring or harsh may require 6-8 weeks or longer of healing and even then might be uncomfortable.  Boat rides that are fairly smooth may be ok at 4-6 weeks.  The key is to be able to listen to your body and stop if it is too uncomfortable.  The problem with being on a boat is that you may not have too much of a choice once the boat ride starts.  I have had one patient who went on a jarring boat ride for an hour or more about 4 weeks after a tummy tuck and it was too much for her.  She actually developed a seroma in the process that I have to drain several times.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

6-10 weeks

For my mommy makeover patients I like to suggest zero exercise, or anything that is going to stress the tummy muscles, for 1 month.  Between 5-10 weeks I have the patients slowly increase their activity so that at 10 weeks they are unrestricted.  Boating and fishing would be okay at about 6 weeks, but, no water skiing, etc, for 10 weeks.  Again, this will vary widely between surgeons.

Getting active after a mummy makeover

Most people in my practice are back to normal (restricted) duties four weeks after tummy tuck and breast augmentation (although I do recommend avoiding any upper body excercise or strenuous activity till the 6 week mark), but its important to listen to your own body and seek the advice of your plastic surgeon based on your individual surgery and recovery. 

On average, it is a 6 week recovery before you resume full activities.Check with your surgeon to see if you are an exception.  Scar management will be very important in your recovery, but it sounds like you have that figured out!  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD