Are 435 CC's High Profile Gummy Bear Implants too big for me? (photo)

Im getting my BA in about 2 weeks and Id like to know if 435 cc high profile gummy bear implants are going to look natural & full. I'm currently a 32A , I weigh 113 lbs and im 5'2 tall. Please see my photo below. I'm afraid 435 is too large however I have very little breast tissue. If 435 is in fact too large I'd like the best recommendation for my body type/ stature Thank you!

Sientra Breast Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Ells,
TA 435 cc implant is definitely getting up there in size for your build.  But this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.Approximately 50 cc (1-2 oz.) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial submuscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on about 25-50 cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out one ounce per 30 cc or in your case about 14 ounces, and an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra. Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Then, the patient’s verbal requests are factored into the analysis.
I already know you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon because Sientra only sells to BC plastic surgeons (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who are members of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). So that is great!

Also Sientra is the only implant company who has a warrantee if you develop a capsule after receiving their textured implants. They have a special process which makes the texture. This implant shell is unavailable elsewhere.
All the best, “Dr. Joe”

The right size breast implant

Hello and a very good question.  If you are an A cup, a 435cc implant should get you to a full C, small D depending on bra company.  Implant sizers may help you decide on what best fits you.  I have my patients also look at the many pre and postop pictures I have and pick several sizes they like as well.  I would have to say that you probably are a candidate for high profile implants  based on your picture.  Profile is usually chosen after measuring how wide your chest may be.  Sientra textured implants are my implant of choice.  You need to discuss with your physician the use of round versus anatomic shapes.  Good Luck!

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Chosing a Sientra Breast Implant Size

While they seem a little big, some women can look very good with that size without looking too big. The sizing with Sientra implants and the other gummy bear implants is quite a bit different than the usual sizing with round silicone gel breast implants. We use your dimensions and match them to the dimensions of the implant first. After that we size you in a bra to see what you like and then match that size to the implants with the dimensions we have already chosen. In other words, we chose a profile (low, medium or high) with the appropriate dimensions based on what you like at the preop.

I hope that helps

Beat regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Consider your frame when selecting implants.

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical exam or seeing pre-operative pictures.In addition, it’s important to understand the patients’ aesthetic goals.Each patient has specific anatomic findings and unique aesthetic goals regarding size and breast shape.All of these factors should be considered when choosing the size of breast implants.
Even when tremendous care is taken pre-operatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the operating room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patients’ breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.In some cases, when larger implants are utilized, patients can lose a natural look and appear artificial.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are often better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the operating room.
In your case, it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the operating room so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you’re considering but don’t become married to an absolute number.It’s important to remember that going with an implant that’s too large can result in an artificial appearance.In this particular case 435cc implants might be too large for your petite frame.

Too big?

It is hard to say without knowing your chest measurements. Having said that, In most cases, but not all, the high profile implant can give some good things and some less good. It does give a greater degree of projection out of a bra, but it will also look a little more artificial in many women as the base of the implant is narrower than the base of a natural breast of that size. They will look full, just hard to say how natural they will look. Of course, the natural look is also in the eye of the beholder, so there is a range of what natural might mean,

Julio Garcia, MD

Please tell us what size you ultimately chose!

I am late to answer this question, since you asked it one month prior to this reply, and told us your surgery was scheduled "in two weeks," which would have been just about 2 weeks ago.

After all the answers and different opinions you received, I am curious as to what you and your surgeon chose, and just how you feel about things at this point in your recovery. I suspect many of my colleagues are equally interested, and there would be much speculation as to just who gave the "best" advice.

I hope you are doing well, made the "right" choice, and would favor us with follow-up. Thank you and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

435cc too big?

I approach breast augmentation by measuring the base width of your breasts.  I then look at the implant catalogs and offer a wide range of sizes that all have an appropriate width for your breast.   Since the base width is relatively fixed (there is a little wiggle room), the way the size increases is by increasing the projection.  In my opinion, as long as an implant with the appropriate width is selected, the decision on size is completely up to you.   If you were my patient and there was a 435cc implant that was the appropriate width for your chest, I would offer it to you.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Are 435 CC's High Profile Gummy Bear Implants too big for me?

Hi. I would caution you in considering 435cc. You are petit and have a small frame. IMHO you would be better off considering implants in the3500cc range. Good luck

Are 435 cc's High Profile Gummy Bear Implants too big for me?

Given your petite dimensions, a 435 cc implant sounds somewhat large.  However, it would require a physical exam, which would include taking your breast/chest dimensions and breast and skin elasticity into consideration, before one could determine what size implant would be appropriate for you.  Ask your surgeon if you can try the implants on in a bra.  Also ask if you can see pre and post op photos of patients, who were similar to you, and who had similar sized implants.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Getting the size right

Start by looking at before and after images on the website of a plastic surgeon you are considering to see if he shares your aesthetic sensibilities. Before and after photos are also an excellent communication tool as a way to share goals.    It is important to be confident that you share the same aesthetic sensibilities as your plastic surgeon. In consultations I listen carefully to each patient to ensure that I clearly understand their goals for breast augmentation surgery. I have never understood the desire on the part of patients or physicians (especially physicians) to create unnaturally large breasts. 
Biodimensional planning is a specific way to measure not only for size in number of cc's, but also shape and position of the implant. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon