Capsular Contracture and Mammogram. Any suggestions?

I have pretty severe contracture of my implants, so no chance of being able to endure the implants bein squished by a mammogram. They are as hard as rocks, literally. With that said, I found a lump and went and got thermal imaging done. Suspiscious findings were found. Next step would normally be the mammo, as I am 40 next week. No chance that will happen. So what should I do/request? Is an ultrasound my only tool option now?

Doctor Answers 12

Breast implants - severe contracture

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and breast growth.
  • When a woman has a suspicious breast lump, she should not be directing her evaluation.
  • The issues are quite complex but the focus is rapid diagnosis of the lump and rapid treatment if it is cancer.
  • You need your plastic surgeon or a breast surgeon involved pronto.
  • One option - since you have a lump - is surgical biopsy of the lump.
  • There is no need to have additional testing - because whatever the study, tissue must be examined.
  • The other option is an ultrasound guided needle biopsy - but it is more likely to rupture the implant since it is done blindly. 
  • If the implant is ruptured, your plastic surgeon should be available immediately to remove the implant and capsule - but a new implant may be deferred until the diagnosis is made.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Capsular Contracture and Mammogram. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant issues and suspicious findings. I would follow up closely with your breast surgeon for an in-person examination and discussion of the next best imaging modality. I would be in favor of an MRI, but depending on the mass location a biopsy may also be indicated.  Hope this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Breast imaging with capsular contracture

I would recommend MRI.  Insurance may require ultrasound first but MRI will likely give the best diagnostic image of the mass.  Also you should consider having your capsular contracture treated.  Schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss options.  You can find one at  Best Wishes.  

Raymond Jean MD  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Mass post aug

With the encapsul;ation you could consider an ultrasound or maybe an MRI.They may need to do a biopsy in the radiology dept but they could rupture your implant but it sound like you need a capsulotomy or a capsulectomy to release the impalnts.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Breast mass with capsular contracture

since your implants are so hard, you will either need an ultrasound guided needle biopsy and / or an MRI to help define the mass and obtain an accurate diagnosis. you should see a breast surgeon who deals with breast lumps and masses. 

James E. Leake, MD
Marietta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Capsular Contracture and mammograms

Thank you for your inquiry.  I would suggest that you immediately see a Plastic Surgeon or Breast Surgeon to determine what would be the best next step.  You must investigate the lump and this may be amenable to a core biopsy or if necessary an open biopsy.
The MRI would ceratinly be an option, but you should see a surgeon ASAP.

Best wishes,

JOhn J Obi, MD

John J. Obi, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Meet with your surgeon

You should see your surgeon and have an in person examination to determine the cause of the lump and the following procedures to be done. 

Good Luck!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Breast lump

Probably best to contact a breast surgeon who can guide you re: the best imaging modalities. Typically, ultrasound is performed after a mammogram but you may need an MRI or a needle biopsy to help define the lump. Good luck!

Farah Naz Khan, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 99 reviews

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend ultrasound and breast MRI along with biopsy if needed.  Please follow up with your MD.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Breast imaging with capsules

Unfortunately, thermography has been a let-down in the accuracy department.
Next step would be ultrasound and breast MRI, and possible biopsy of the lump, if imaging is suspicious.

All the best,

Thomas Fiala, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.