How Do You Qualify as a Botox/Injectables Technician?

Hello! :) I am about to start school for Medical Laboratory Technician and my main goal is to become a botox/injectables technician. Will this education and training help me qualify for this? Thank you so much for your time. Holly.

Doctor Answers 11

How do I get Qualified to Inject Botox?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello Miss Holly.  Unfortunately, in almost every locale we know of, you need to have a medical license to inject Botox.  Botox is a pharmaceutical drug and as such it's use is limited to the medical community (at least in the US).  We are not aware of the exact regulations in Canada, but would guess that you might need a medical license such as RN, PA, NP or MD to be able to inject.  Good luck.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

How Do You Qualify as a Botox/Injectables Technician?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is more of a legal question than a medical one.  Since you live in Ottawa I would check with the medical board in Ontario to find the requirements to become a botox injector.  Here is California botox injections can only be given be a state licensed M.D. or R.N. 

Donald M. Brown, MD (retired)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Who can inject Botox or fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The short answer is that it depends on the state where you are living, and the requirements for that medical board. (This is true in Canada too.) No matter what, though, each injector must practice under a licensed physician, as products are only distributed to them through legitimate vendors.

In Nevada, frighteningly, anyone can inject - physicians, PAs, RNs, MAs, even aetheticians. This is why we have a high rate of problems with injections and technique! If you can find a physician who would allow you to learn to inject, then the associated companies of the products (i.e., Allergan for Botox and Juvederm, Medicis for Restylane, Perlane, and Dysport, Merz for Radiesse, etc.) do have physicians who travel and teach injectors. The company reps could tell you how this works. Also there are training courses through various CME programs, but you have to be sponsored by physicians to attend.

However, my best answer is the following: I truly believe only physicians and very experienced RNs or PAs should be injecting. While many people think the injections look simple, that's usually because they are watching highly trained physicians with years of experience.

Botox assistant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Different countries and different states in the U.S. have different regulations about who can inject Botox an fillers.  If the state allows non-physicians to do injections, then usually, the physician is still needed to hire those assistants under his or her supervision.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Fort Lauderdale Botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Holly, I admire your passion for our art, however, I do not feel TGAT one can grasp the magnitude of facial anatomy & the physiology of neurotoxins & filler molecules after anything less than a professional degree containing exposure to physiology & human anatomy.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

You must work for a physician and usually have to be a doctor or nurse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Each state is different depending on the state regulations, but Botox is a prescription product so should only be used under the supervision of a doctor.  Usually only physicians and nurse practitioners and Physicians do this in Tennessee.  Botox injection are not as simple as they appear.  Even physicians who arent trained in dermatology or plastic surgery are now doing Botox with a high rate of complications.  there is no course to get "qualified" to do Botox.  You must have a medical license or a provider license.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Who should inject Botox and fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my opinion Botox and fillers should only be injected by a licensed practitioner, such as a physician, physician assistant, or registered nurse. In my practice I am the only injector. I do not delegate this authority to anyone else. I believe I have an obligation to my patients to provide them with my many years of training in anatomy, a degree of training that is more than any nurse or physician assistant will have had in their training programs. Knowledge of how the products interact with the tissues in which they are placed is crucial to a cosmetically appealing and safe outcome.

Regardless of who does the injection, it should only be done under the direction and supervision of a physician. It is always ultimately the physician who is supervising the injector who is responsibile for outcome, safety and complications. If a problem occurs, a physician should be involved with dealing with it.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 65 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Although at first look it seems relatively simple to learn to inject Botox and fillers, the truth is that it takes months of training and years of experience to do a good job. This is why only MDs and Nurses are allowed to perform these procedures. They will also know how to handle possible complications . A thorough knowledge of Anatomy, Aesthetic anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Biology of aging,etc are necessary. It may be useful to start by becoming a nurse and then finding a job with a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Who is qualified to inject Botox and fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The laws regulating who can legally perform injections vary from state to state and presumably the same in Canada, but in all cases it is a prescrition medical product, meaning that a physician is responsible. Most areas allow the physician to delegate to a licensed medical practtitioner such as a nurse or physician assistant, and the supervision requirements also vary. I am not aware of any specific job or training of injector technician.

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Only Doctors and Nurses can inject Botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In California, one has to be a doctor or an nurse to legally inject Botox.  You can't get qualified to inject Botox unless you are licensed by the state with either a RN or MD degree.  RN's who inject Botox work under the supervision of a doctor.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.