Can I have earlobe surgery to close all of my piercings? (Photo)

I am wanting to close up my five earlobe piercings because they were pierced very unevenly. They won't close on their own since I've had them in for so long, so I've been looking at earlobe reconstruction surgery. Would it be possible to close up my piercings with the surgery? (they were never stretched) and would the scarring be terrible? Will my ear look normal after? Thanks in advance; I have a picture attached.

Ear lobe

All of these holes can be fixed. This is performed as an office procedure under local anesthesia. The scarring should be very good 

Earlobe repair

Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon as pricing varies from surgeon to surgeon. Price can range from $400-$800. You will be able to re-pierce your ears 2 months after you have the earlobe repair done. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #earloberepair

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Closing piercings

I preform a simple procedure under local anesthesia to remove unwanted or problematic piercings.   During the procedure, I punch-out the old piercing site and place 1-2 sutures to close it up.  In your case, I'd have you stop wearing your earrings for 2-4 weeks to make the holes as small as possible.  Next we would remove every other piercing and let things heal before removing the rest.   The sites look relatively normal but we trade a scar for the piercing.  See attached pictures on my dashboard.

Jacob Bloom, MD

Tricky to punch out little piercings one by one and then have them heal in a LESS conspicuous way. Best to remove the piercings... looks like you're still wearing them? And see how things settle down. IF there is one that really bothers you, it would be reasonable to do a "test" excision of that one and see how it heals before going crazy with a plastic surgeon. sound reasonable?

Can I have earlobe surgery to close all of my piercings?

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to repairing earlobes you are trading one scar (the hole that is there now) for another (generally a line scar).  I am not sure what is available in your area but another treatment that can close down piercing holes is TCA (trichloroacetic acid).  It's a solution that is applied topically and can shrink the hole down and close it over.  This is done with a little bit of local freezing for comfort and is tolerated very well with great results in 1-2 treatments.  TCA is great for unstretched earring holes and can avoid the line scar that is associated with traditional earlobe repair.

As always consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and best of luck.

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Hello charforsure,

It is a simple procedure performed under local anesthesia in the clinic to close your holes.  The ear will look normal after but there will be small scars (which should be less noticeable than all of the holes). 

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to go over your options. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you can have all the earlobe piercing holes closed up but it will leave small scars.  This can be done in the office under local anesthesia injection.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Earlobe piercings

Earlobe piercings can be closed individually but you will have a small scar at each piercing hole. Best of luck.

Earlobe repair

Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Ear lobe surgery

Closing your earlobe piercings is definitely possible, and easy to do in an office setting under local anesthesia.  A small scar will be left where each piercing was.  Typically, these scars are not that noticeable once you re-pierce the earlobe and have an earring in place.  
Best of luck
Keith M Blechman MD
New York, NY