Compression Garments after Liposculpture-- Waterproof?

I am planning to get a liposculpture procedure done in March and I know I will be needing to wear compression garments for at least 6 weeks. I am a swim instructor and will need to be back in the water 2 1/2 weeks after the procedure (Not swimming laps, mainly walking back and forth in the water) Are their any compression garments that are water proof or hold up well in the water?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction/ Liposculpture / Liposuction/ Hi Definition procedures/ Body contouring with fat grafting

I appreciate your question.

I am not aware of any compression garments that are waterproof.  Also, it is very important that your incision sites are healed before you get in the water.  Please discuss in detail with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  There are no waterproof compression garments.  also, you need to make sure the incisions are completely healed before going in a pool.  In 16 years doing liposuction, my only infection has been a swim instructor, that went back in the pool against my instructions.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Compression Garments after Liposculpture

I am unaware of any waterproof garments and it would be not a wise idea to go swimming wearing a garment. It is possible you may find relatively tight swimming garments were suits that may cover the liposuction area while you are in the water. This may suffice. In general, if you are in the water for a shorter period of time, one would not expect a significant change in results.

Incisions from liopsuction cannula introduction must be completely closed prior to swimming.

Hello. The incisions that are used to introduce the liposuction cannulas must be completely closed prior to swimming. You should definitely get your surgeons input and advice regarding the timing for participating in the activity. You don't want to get an infection and swimming may be a good source for getting an infection following the liposuction surgery.  If the incisions are closed mostly, then water proof bands aids applied well, may do just fine.   The only waterproof garments you can wear is a dry suit.  Other water resistant compression garments that can be used in the water are the typical wet suits.  But these are not completely water proof.  Lake water and ocean water is even worse to expose yourself to with open wounds.  Typically pool water is clean and getting an infection from exposuremto this non-sterile water  is only a possibility. You would also be exposing others swimming in that pool to your bodily fluids if your incisions aren not completely closed.  Also, I learned and have practiced using compression garments for only 4 weeks is sufficient after undergoing a liposuction procedure. 

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately there are not water proof compression garments and using any water resistant materials may predispose you to fungal infections, so best not to submerge yourself in your garment.  I would speak with your surgeon about the timing of your return to the water as well, as you may still have small openings that it would be best to avoid placing underwater.

Swimming after surgery.

There are no waterproof garments, also,  you are not supposed to go swimming if incisions haven't fully healed.
Ask your surgeon when it will be safe to go back into the water to avoid any risk of infection.

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon