Skiing, should I stop using Retin-A treatment (1x wk) or can I continue use and protect with 50spf, helmet and sunglasses?

I plan to go skiing for a week at the end of the month and I just started retin-a (used 1x) I plan to use once a week after I return from skiing, 2x a wk). If I continue my plan now, I would have used it, 4x before skiing. My cheeks will be exposed and yes, I do get wind burned sometimes (weather conditions) and I do ski everyday. I will ski approximately 4-5 hours a day. Please help.........I have olive skin and am in my early 50s. Thank you, MInMadrid.

Retin-A with intense sun exposure during skiing

I recommend that you stop using it daily and use it once or twice a week and use high SPF sun protection (60 plus) as well as using your goggles. 

Best
Dr Karamanoukian

Buffalo General Surgeon

Retin-A and Retinol With Skiing

Retin-A and Retinols can have patients more sensitive to sun and sun exposure.  In addition, skiing can further irritate the skin with exposure to the wind. When patients note irritation from Retin-A they should consider the following details:

• Wait- Patients should wait for a few days prior to putting Retin-A and when skiing consider abstaining until no longer skiing
  • Hydrate- Hydration can help with the redness and irritation. Consider the use of newer type moisturizers with hyaluronic acid based hydration types
  • Sunscreen- Apply sunscreen to protect the face
  • Growth factors- Growth factors can help improve the irritation from Retin-A

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon